Christmas Bird Counts in Utah
2019 Christmas Bird Count Schedule
There is no required fee to participate. We welcome donations to support the CBC program.
You can donate on the Audubon Website.
* (Information from last year is in this color-- last year's schelude - at the bottom of this page).
14 December, (Saturday) Cedar City
- All birders are welcome to join us on this count. Previous experience is prefered, but we are willing to train new birders. Contact Keith Day at email@example.com or phone (435) 865-6120.
Evanston WY and UT
Those interested in participating in the annual Evanston Christmas Bird Count (CBC) should meet 8:00 am Saturday, December 14th at the Hornet's Nest Gas Station, 8 miles north of Evanston on Rt. 89.
The Evanston circle holds the all-time record count for Greater Sage-Grouse, 698 in 1986. This will be the 38th year for the Evanston CBC. About 40% of the count circle is in Utah.
There will be a dinner after the count at Tim Gorman’s residence.
For more details contact Tim Gorman at 307-679-0656 or 307-789-3833.
- The Moab Bird Club will hold its annual Christmas Bird Count on Saturday, December 14, 2018. For more information, or to sign up, please contact event coordinator Marcy Hafner at 435-259-6197 or .
- Contact John Bellmon for information (firstname.lastname@example.org). [Last-years info: Meet at 7:00 am at Denny’s (Take 21st Street to 1100 West, on north side by Flying J Plaza, Ogden) for breakfast and to get your assignment. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars. Potluck dinner at 6:00 pm at UCC Church (3350 South Harrison Blvd.) for compilation of data. Bring table service and a dish to share.]
Ouray National Wildlife Refuge / Green River
- We will be meeting at 8:00 am at Ouray NWR office. Please call the Refuge at (435)545-2522 x 112 if you need directions. There may be room in the bunkhouse for out of town birders who need a place to stay. Please bring a breakfast snack to share with the group and encourage at least one new/existing birder to join you on this fun-filled day!
For more info, message Tonya Kieffer or email me at, .
- Provo CBC will be Sat. Dec 14th. The tally and potluck dinner (bring something to share) will be at 6pm at the Utah County Health and Justice Building, 151 S. University Ave. Rm. 2500 (second floor). There’s parking outside, or in the parking tower. Email Bryan Shirley at email@example.com to sign up for an area for the Provo count. Our December meeting will be a bird quiz to get ready for the count and to hand out the folders for the area assignments.
Salt Lake City
- Do you love birds and the beauty of nature, the spirit of friendly competition and the satisfaction of participating in an event that helps scientists understand how birds are faring amid unprecedented environmental challenges? Then join us in celebrating the 120th anniversary of the longest running community science project in the world. Volunteer for this free event as a field observer or to count birds at your own feeders. There is also a need for some special assignment counters if you are only available for a few hours. Teams are determined prior to count day and starting times are at the discretion of team leaders. Contact Ian Batterman at 920-360-0805 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to participate or to obtain further information. Our tally rally will begin at 6:00 p.m. at The Chase Mill, Tracy Aviary with a pot luck dinner and prizes to give out. Please bring a dish to share.
- This count circle falls within and adjacent to Zion National Park. Individual zones are pre-assigned before count day. Participants that pre-register with the compiler will have the park entrance fee waived. Count tally and pot luck starts at 5 PM in the Zion Nature Center located in the park. Please contact compiler Jason Pietrzak at e-mail email@example.com for further information.
15 December, (Sunday) Park City [ Announcement ]
- We are pleased to announce the 9th annual Utah Birders Park City Christmas Bird Count, hosted by Swaner Preserve and EcoCenter. We invite you to gather in the morning for coffee and bagels at the Swaner EcoCenter prior to participating in the bird count.
The Christmas Bird Count (CBC) is a census of birds performed annually in December and January by volunteer birders. The purpose is to provide population data for use in science, especially conservation biology--though many people participate just for fun.
This year's Park City CBC will take place on Sunday, December 15, 2019 starting at 8:00 AM and going until 12:00 PM. We will split up into several teams to cover areas from Jordanelle north, to Jeremy Ranch and from Summit Park east, to Rockport and Peoa.
For more information and to sign up visit http://www.utahbirders.com/cbc
We will begin meeting at 7:45 AM at Swaner Preserve and EcoCenter MAP
f you have any questions feel free to visit us at utahbirders.com/cbc or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or Nate Brown at 970-978-1804, email@example.com.
16 December, (Monday) Grand Staircase-Escalante
- Everyone will meet at 755 W Main Street, Escalante, Utah. at 8:00am (435 826-5499). We will have a short precount presentation and get routes lined out and will then head to the field. The count will go until around 4pm.at the Interagency Visitor Center, at
- Contact - Terry Tolbert at (435) 826-5607, or Jens & Kathy Munthe - 435-826-4755
18 December, (Wednesday)
Bear River Refuge
- Contact John Bellmon for information (firstname.lastname@example.org). [Last-years info: Meet at McDonald’s (1838 W 2700 N, Farr West – just east of 1-15 exit 349) at 8 am for breakfast or about 9 am at refuge visitors center. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars]
- Meet at 8 am at the Anasazi State Park Visitor Center, 460 Highway 12, Boulder, Utah. The count will go until around 4pm. Efforts will be made to pair inexperienced birders with experienced birders. Call (435) 826-5607 for details.
20 December, (Friday) Kanab
- Everyone will meet at the New Kanab Convention center Board Room, 20 N 100 E, Kanab, UT 84741. We'll have a short precount presentation and get routes lined out and will then head to the field.
Call Lisa Church (435) 644-1273 for details.
21 December, (Saturday)
Bryce Canyon Website
- Whether you are a "bird nerd" or someone who just likes nature and the outdoors, please join Bryce Canyon National Park in continuing the CBC tradition. Several routes are available from strenuous hikes to easy drives. We can match your skills/abilities with other birders to make the day fun and successful.
Free t-shirts will be available for all birders.
The count will begin at 8:00am on Saturday, 12/21 at the Bryce Canyon Visitor Center. The count will occur within a 15-mile diameter circle surrounding Bryce Canyon National Park. Please contact Peter Densmore (435-834-4744 email@example.com) at Bryce Canyon National Park for more information on the count and how to participate.
26 December, (Thursday)
- Meet at the Utah DWR (515 E 5300 S, South Ogden) to carpool at 7:30. Or meet at Arnold Smith’s house in Morgan, 796 N 700 E, at 8:00am. It is an all day trip so bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars.
27 December, (Friday)
- Please join us for the St. George Christmas Bird Count on Friday, December 27. We need lots of birders, whether beginners or experts, to find all the feathered beasts using St. George as a winter hideout. The scenery is spectacular and our local naturalists can guide you to the best wintering birds. Please register with the lead compiler, Ken Hinton - (firstname.lastname@example.org), 435-772-1019, leaving your name, contact information, and whether you’re familiar with the area. The CBC is the longest running citizen science effort in the world. Come be a part of the fun this year in southern Utah!
Red Cliffs Audubon, Bryan Dixon, co-compiler, email@example.com
28 December, (Saturday)
Silver Reef . See map.
- Join us for the historic Silver Reef Christmas Bird Count. This count covers diverse habitats in southwest Utah, including ponds, reservoirs, historical sites, red sandstone deserts and cliffs, and usually warm winter weather. Please register with the lead compiler, Marshall Topham, (firstname.lastname@example.org), (435) 632-7841, with your name, contact information, and whether you’re familiar with the area. The CBC is the longest running citizen science effort in the world. Come be a part of the fun this year in southern Utah!
Red Cliffs Audubon, Bryan Dixon, co-compiler, email@example.com
1 January, (Wednesday) Antelope Island
- Contact John Bellmon for information (firstname.lastname@example.org). [Last-years info:
- Meet at the parking lot outside Antelope Island State Park entrance kiosk at 8:00 am. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars. This is a fee area.
Dinosaur NM / Jensen
- We meet at 0800 at the welcome center/rest stop on Highway 40 in Jensen, UT. We have a potluck lunch at a participant's home (in the circle). Half-day participation is OK. Most birding is from the road/car, but some walking/hiking is needed.
For more info contact Kathy Paulin at:
- Participants meet at 7:00 a.m. at Kneader's Bakery & Cafe, located at 177 East 13800 South, Draper, UT,(801-838-7700) for breakfast and to establish birding teams. There are 9 teams that bird within the count circle. This year we have a biologist from Camp Williams who will lead a team on that property (this will be our first time birding at the Camp). Teams are assigned during breakfast and CBC instructions are shared with the groups. Beginner, intermediate and expert birders are invited and encouraged to spend the first day of the new year birding with us. At 5:00 p.m. participants meet at Sizzlers (9000 South 20 West, Sandy, UT - 801-566-8021) to talk about their day and turn in tally sheets. Please contact Jeanne Le Ber at 801-532-7384, or 801-230-4373 (talk or text) or email@example.com if you are interested in participating. Thanks.
3 January, (Friday)
Glen Canyon (Page, AZ)
- Meet at NPS-Glen Canyon headquarters at 0730, on Highway 89 near Page Golf Course. be prepared for cold conditions, bring water, lunch and warm clothes. Some teams will be on Lake Powell or the Colorado River via boats.
Contact: John_Spence@nps.gov; 928-608-6267
4 January, (Saturday)
- Join us at Wasatch Mountain State Park and the surrounding area. We will meet at 8:00 am (until 5 pm) at the Visitor Center located at 1281 Warm Springs Road, Midway, Utah 84049. For more information contact: Kathy Donnell at (435) 654-1791 or .
- The Payson CBC will be Saturday Jan 4th. Meet at 7:30 am at the Payson McDonalds for assignments,. Contact Bryan Shirley for more information. 801-722-9346 or
5 January, (Sunday)
Fish Springs NWR
- The Fish Springs CBC is being held this year. It will be Sunday, Jan 5th at 9am. Participants are welcome to stay at the bunkhouse at Fish Springs the night before and the day of the count. To sign up or questions, contact Jonathan Shore at firstname.lastname@example.org
Information From Last Year, ↓ ↓ ↓
14 December, (Friday) Torrey
- We will meet at 8 am on the 14th at the Chuckwagon General Store in Torrey.
- Counting teams will depart that location by no later than 8:15-8:30 am.. As is the tradition for our Torrey CBC, there will be a group potluck the night before the count and a fun post count feed and party at Casa Jay after the count. To find out more contact Count Coordinator Jay Banta at (preferred) or at 4354963600. Map
26 December, (Wednesday)
Bear Lake (Utah Count)
- Count circle extends from the Ut-Id line south to Laketown, Ut. About half of the land area is privately owned and half is managed by the USFS, BLM, and SITLA. 40% of the circle is covered by the waters of Bear Lake. Habitats includes lake shoreline, open water, residential, farm, riparian, big sagebrush, mountain brush, aspen and conifer. Count circle is divided into 6 count areas. 55 species and 2,000-3,000 birds are usually counted. December 30, 2018, will be the 22th consecutive count. Contact Dennis D. Austin at 1-435-245-4177.
3 January, (Thursday)
Bear Lake (Idaho Count)
- Contact Dennis Austin @ 435-245-4177 or for information and/or sign-up. (The Bear Lake CBC on the Utah side is on December 27th.
4 January, (Friday)
Dead Horse Point
- Looking for experienced birders to be route leaders and welcoming novice birders to join the fun. The count will begin at 8 a.m. and continue until 5 p.m. All participants will need to pack a lunch, dress in layers, and bring lots of water. All participants will receive a free dayuse entry for the Park to be used at a later date. To sign-up to help with the Dead Horse Point State Park CBC, please email Crystal White at email@example.com by January 2nd.
Previous Years ↓ ↓ ↓ (Counts that are registered but may no longer be held)
Snake Valley, NV and UT
- Description: The Snake Valley Christmas Bird Count (CBC) is located in White Pine County, Nevada, and Millard County, Utah. It includes the towns of Baker, NV and Garrison, UT; some of the eastern side of Great Basin National Park, and Pruess Reservoir. It has habitat from the desert floor - saltbrush, to sagebrush, to pinyon-juniper, to fir-spruce forests or mountain mahogany thickets. There are several creeks, stock ponds, irrigation ditches and a fish rearing station included.
Some years there is enough snow in the higher elevations for skiing bird counters! Bring snowshoes or skis, if you have them, just in case. There are a few pairs of snowshoes for loan up at the Park - Lehman Cave Visitor Center. Don't forget your digital camera and spotting scopes, too. Bring snacks - few businesses are open in the winter. Since we are in such a remote location, we can always use more help! .
The count starts at 8 am and continue throughout the day. If you'd like to sign up or learn more, contact Gretchen Baker at 775-234-7541 or email
Park info; www.nps.gov/grba
Area businesses; www.greatbasinpark.com
Pipe Spring National Monument (not being held in 2015)
- From 8 am to 5 pm. "It doesn't take long to cover Pipe Spring - it's only 40 acres... we do some road counts along the county road that goes past the monument and along AZ 389." Contact: Paula Ogden-Muse, "I would like folks to contact me about their interest to be sure that we meet each other at the visitor center at the correct time:" 928-643-7105 x 16 (Monday - Friday) or via email . Poster
Bluff (not held -- 2011 through 2014)
- Come help us count birds in one of the most scenic count areas in the United States. We'll have a pre-count meeting and make count area assignments Sunday evening (12/28) in the Recapture Lodge at 7 p.m. The count will begin at 7 a.m. Monday morning in the north parking lot of the Recapture Lodge and run until dusk.
Recapture Lodge: 250 South Main Street, PO Box 309 Bluff, UT 84512, Phone 435-672-2281, Fax 435-672-2284 Contact: Lu Giddings - 801-423-1682 or .