Christmas Bird Counts in Utah
2014 Christmas Bird Count Schedule
There is no required fee to participate. We welcome donations to support the CBC program.
You can donate on the Audubon Website.
* (Information from last year is in this color at the bottom).
14 December, (Sunday) Evanston WY and UT
Those interested should meet 7:30 am at the Hornet's Nest Gas Station, 8 miles north of Evanston on Rt 89. The Evanston circle holds the all-time record count for Greater Sage-Grouse, 698 in 1986.
For more details contact Tim Gorman at 307-789-3833 or 307-679-0656
Ouray National Wildlife Refuge / Green River
- Meet at the office at 8 am. There is room at the bunkhouse if anyone needs a place to stay. Call me if you have any questions, 435-545-2522 x 112. [Ouray NWR Refuge Biologist ]
- We are pleased to announce the 4th annual Utah Birders Park City Christmas Bird Count and invite you to participate! The Christmas Bird Count (CBC) is a census of birds performed annually in December and January by volunteer birders. The purpose is to provide population data for use in science, especially conservation biology--though many people participate just for fun.
The 2014 Park City CBC will take place on Sunday, December 14, 2014 starting at 8am and going until 5:00 PM (It's dark by then up here). We will split up into several teams to cover areas from Jordanelle north to Jeremy Ranch and from Summit Park east to Rockport and Peoa.
For more information and to sign up visit utahbirders.com/cbc
We will begin meeting at 7:30am at the Park City Bread & Bagel:
The CBC is a free event, but we encourage anyone who participates to donate $5 to our ongoing conservation effort for birds here in Utah.
If you have any questions feel free to visit us at utahbirders.com/cbc, or contact us at email@example.com or call Tim at 801-440-3035 or Nate at 970-978-1804 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pipe Spring National Monument
- From 8 am to 5 pm. "It doesn't take long to cover Pipe Spring - it's only 40 acres... we do some road counts along the county road that goes past the monument and along AZ 389." Contact: Paula Ogden-Muse, "I would like folks to contact me about their interest to be sure that we meet each other at the visitor center at the correct time:" 928-643-7105 x 16 (Monday - Friday) or via email . Poster
- We will meet at 8 am on the 14th at the Chuckwagon General Store in Torrey.
- Counting teams will depart that location by no later than 8:15-8:30 am.. As is the tradition for our Torrey CBC, there will be a group potluck the night before the count and a fun post count feed and party at Casa Jay after the count. To find out more contact Count Coordinator Jay Banta at (preferred) or at 4354963600. Map
15 December, (Monday) Bryce Canyon
16 December, (Tuesday)
- Everyone will meet at theat 8:00am. There will be coffee and donuts or muffins. We will have a short precount presentation and get routes lined out and will then head to the field.
- Contact - Terry Tolbert at (435) 826-5607, or Jens & Kathy Munthe - 435-826-4755
Snake Valley, NV and UT
- Description: The Snake Valley Christmas Bird Count (CBC) is located in White Pine County, Nevada, and Millard County, Utah. It includes the towns of Baker, NV and Garrison, UT; some of the eastern side of Great Basin National Park, and Pruess Reservoir. It has habitat from the desert floor - saltbrush, to sagebrush, to pinyon-juniper, to fir-spruce forests or mountain mahogany thickets. There are several creeks, stock ponds, irrigation ditches and a fish rearing station included.
Some years there is enough snow in the higher elevations for skiing bird counters! Bring snowshoes or skis, if you have them, just in case. There are a few pairs of snowshoes for loan up at the Park - Lehman Cave Visitor Center. Don't forget your digital camera and spotting scopes, too. Bring snacks - few businesses are open in the winter.
Since we are in such a remote location, we can always use more help! .
Meet: We will meet at the Great Basin Visitor Center on the north end of Baker at 8:30 am. At dusk, we will meet at a local restaurant for a hot meal and a quick talley.
Contact: Melissa Renfro -- Please leave a message at 775 234-7154; or email me at if you plan to participate!
Park info; www.nps.gov/grba
Area businesses; www.greatbasinpark.com
17 December, (Wednesday)
Bear River Refuge
- Meet at McDonald’s (1838 W 2700 N, Farr West – just east of 1-15 exit 349) at 8:00 for breakfast or at 8:30 am to carpool. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars
- 8 am to 4 pm.-- Meet at the Anasazi State Park Theater (435) 335-7308."
- Contact - Terry Tolbert at (435) 826-5607
19 December, (Friday)
- All birders are welcome to join us on this count. Previous experience is preferred, but we are willing to train new birders. Contact, Keith Day at or 435 865-6100
- Everyone will meet at the Kanab BLM office (435 644-1200) 669 S Highway 89 A at 8:00am. There will be coffee and donuts or muffins. We will have a short precount presentation and get routes lined out and will then head to the field.
Contact – Lisa Church at (435)644-1273,
20 December, (Saturday)
- If you would like to participate contact Bryan Dixon, at 435-760-0691 or ,so he can put you with the team that needs you the most. An evening potluck will held at the Cache Valley Unitarian Universalists building at 596 East 900 North, Logan.
- For more details: | Bridgerland Audubon Website | About Previous Counts |
- We have twelve groups available, which cover wetlands, rural areas, the town of Moab and some of the outlying high desert including several riparian canyos. Contact person is Marcy Hafner, 435-259-6197 or
- Meet at Denny’s (Take 21st Street to 1100 West, on north side by Flying J Plaza, Ogden) for breakfast and to get your assignment. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars. Potluck dinner at 6:00 pm at UCC Church (3350 South Harrison Blvd.) for compilation of data. Bring table service and a dish to share.
- Participants will receive final assignments at the Utah County Birders meeting on December 12 at 7:00 PM (location TBD). At this time participants will be organized into groups and assigned various areas of the count circle. Interested people should contact Bryan Shirley at 801-722-9346 or email , especially if they won't be at the meeting.
Salt Lake City
- Do you love birds and the beauty of nature, the spirit of friendly competition and the satisfaction of participating in an event that helps scientists understand how birds are faring amid unprecedented environmental challenges? Then join us in celebrating the 115th anniversary of the longest running citizen science project in the world. Volunteer for this FREE EVENT as a field observer or to count birds at your own feeders. There is also a need for some special assignment counters if you are only available for a few hours. Starting times and locations will be determined by team leaders. Contact Pomera Fronce at 801-272-2755 or email@example.com if you plan to participate or to obtain further information.
- Zion inside the count circle are within and adjacent to Zion National Park and are normally pre-assigned before count day. Participants that pre-register with the compiler will have the park entrance fee waived. Tally Rally starts at 5 PM in the Zion Natural History Association Conference Room in the headquarters/administration building in the park. Please contact compiler Cassie Waters for further information - 435 772-0212 or .
23 December, (Tuesday)
- Meet at the Utah DWR (515 East 5300 South, South Ogden) at 7:30 am to carpool for breakfast at Spring Chicken Inn (4 North State Street, Morgan) at 8:00 am. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars. For more info, email Weston smith at .
26 December, (Friday)
- The St. George Christmas Bird Count has a high count possible (everyone, including birds, likes coming here for the winter). We have beautiful scenery, great weather, and nice people. Please state your name, email address, level of birding, and if you are familiar with the area. We want this to be a great experience for you. Questions? Contact Marilyn Davis - 435 673-0996 or .
27 December, (Saturday)
- The Silver Reef Christmas Bird Count is diverse with ponds, reservoirs, historical sites, beautiful scenery, and great weather. Please give your name, email address, level of birding, and if you are familiar iwth the area. We want this to be a great experience fo you. If you have questions, call Marilyn Davis at 435 673-0996 or email at .
28 December, (Sunday)
- Contact Dennis Austin @ 435-245-4177 or for information and/or sign-up. The count usually has 10 or more observers. About 55 species and 2,000 birds are annually counted.
1 January, (Thursday)
- Meet at the parking lot outside Antelope Island State Park entrance kiosk at 8:00 am. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars. This is a fee area.
- Leaders: Jeanne Le Ber and Ray Smith - meet at 7am at Johanna’s Kitchen, 9725 South State Street, Sandy (801-566-1762). Assignments will be distributed and groups will start birding at 8am. Team reports and count tally will begin at 6pm at the Sizzler on 9000 S. & State St. To sign up, or for more information, call Jeanne or Ray at (801-532-7384).
2 January, (Friday)
Dead Horse Point | 2012 report - PDF |
3 January, (Saturday)
Dinosaur NM / Jensen
- Meet at the welcome center on Highway 40 in Jensen at 0800. Hope to see you there! Contact Kathy Paulin at:
Fish Springs NWR
- Fish Springs National Wildlife Refuge will be conducting its 2014 Christmas Bird Count on Sat. January 3rd. Fish Springs is a remote refuge located approx. 3 hours SW of Salt Lake City, along the southern border of Dugway Proving Grounds. Our 18,000 acre refuge is surrounded by mountains and upland shrub habitat. The interior portion of our refuge consists approximately 10,000 acres of wetlands which support a wintering population of ducks, geese and tundra swans.
As the CBC is a citizen count and we are a remote refuge with smaller staff, we are looking for interested and/or experienced birders who might like to spend their weekend out at one of Utah’s many hidden treasures.We are hoping to start the CBC surveys by 9:00 am and are asking interested participants to arrive between 8:30 am and 8:45 am. The estimated end time is variable depending upon the # of participants, the weather and of course, the birds, but may going into early to mid afternoon.
For anyone who would like to participate, there will be available housing at our bunkhouse the night before and the night of the Bird Count (Jan. 2nd and 3rd). If you wish to overnight at the refuge (one or both nights) we have full accommodations for your stay, including fully-furnished kitchen, bedrooms and bedding, bathrooms and laundry. You are welcome to bring our own sleeping bag and pillow if you prefer. Depending on the number of visitors staying over, companions may need to share a room. Depending on the number of visitors staying over, companions may need to share a room. Due to limited space, please reply by Dec. 22nd. Space will be assigned as confirmations are received.
During the day the bunkhouse will be open to all participants for a place to get warm and enjoy a hot lunch. Stew or chili will be on the stove for anyone who wants to stop by.
Please contact Tiffany Cummins at if you have any questions or would like to attend.
- Join us at Wasatch Mountain State Park and the surrounding area. We will meet at 8:00 am at the Visitor Center located at 1281 Warm Springs Road, Midway, Utah 84049. Contact: Kathy Donnell at (435) 654-1791 or .
- The Payson count will be on Jan 3. Great way to start the new year!
Hopefully you can come out and enjoy the best Holiday Tradition!
For more info contact Bryan Shirley at 801-722-9346 or
5 January, (Monday)
Glen Canyon (Page, AZ)
- Meet at Glen Canyon NRA headquarters (928 608-6200) at 0730, on Highway 89 near Page Golf Course. John Spence at: (928) 608-6267 or
Last Year, (2013)
Bluff (not held -- 2011 through 2013)
- Come help us count birds in one of the most scenic count areas in the United States. We'll have a pre-count meeting and make count area assignments Sunday evening (12/28) in the Recapture Lodge at 7 p.m. The count will begin at 7 a.m. Monday morning in the north parking lot of the Recapture Lodge and run until dusk.
Recapture Lodge: 250 South Main Street, PO Box 309 Bluff, UT 84512, Phone 435-672-2281, Fax 435-672-2284 Contact: Lu Giddings - 801-423-1682 or .