Christmas Bird Counts in Utah
2015 Christmas Bird Count Schedule
There is no required fee to participate. We welcome donations to support the CBC program.
You can donate on the Audubon Website.
* (Information from last year is in this color-- and is listed at the bottom of this page).
14 December, (Monday) Snake Valley, NV and UT
- Description: The Snake Valley Christmas Bird Count (CBC) is located in White Pine County, Nevada, and Millard County, Utah. It includes the towns of Baker, NV and Garrison, UT; some of the eastern side of Great Basin National Park, and Pruess Reservoir. It has habitat from the desert floor - saltbrush, to sagebrush, to pinyon-juniper, to fir-spruce forests or mountain mahogany thickets. There are several creeks, stock ponds, irrigation ditches and a fish rearing station included.
Some years there is enough snow in the higher elevations for skiing bird counters! Bring snowshoes or skis, if you have them, just in case. There are a few pairs of snowshoes for loan up at the Park - Lehman Cave Visitor Center. Don't forget your digital camera and spotting scopes, too. Bring snacks - few businesses are open in the winter. Since we are in such a remote location, we can always use more help! .
The count starts at 8 am and continue throughout the day. If you'd like to sign up or learn more, contact Gretchen Baker at 775-234-7541 or Melissa Renfro at 775 234-7154; or email
Park info; www.nps.gov/grba
Area businesses; www.greatbasinpark.com
- We will meet at 8 am on the 14th at the Chuckwagon General Store in Torrey.
- Counting teams will depart that location by no later than 8:15-8:30 am.. As is the tradition for our Torrey CBC, there will be a group potluck the night before the count and a fun post count feed and party at Casa Jay after the count. To find out more contact Count Coordinator Jay Banta at (preferred) or at 4354963600. Map
15 December, (Tuesday)
16 December, (Wednesday)
Bear River Refuge
- Meet at McDonald’s (1838 W 2700 N, Farr West – just east of 1-15 exit 349) at 8:00 for breakfast or at 8:30 am to carpool. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars
Bryce Canyon Grand Staircase-Escalante
- Everyone will meet at theat 8:00am. There will be coffee and donuts or muffins. We will have a short precount presentation and get routes lined out and will then head to the field.
- Contact - Terry Tolbert at (435) 826-5607, or Jens & Kathy Munthe - 435-826-4755 ,
17 December, (Thursday)
- Meet at 8 am at the Anasazi State Park Theater (435) 335-7308.
- Contact - Terry Tolbert at (435) 826-5607
- All birders are welcome to join us on this count. Previous experience is preferred, but we are willing to train new birders. Contact, Keith Day at or 435 586-6100
18 December, (Friday)
- Everyone will meet at the Kanab BLM office (435 644-1200) 669 S Highway 89 A at 8:00am. There will be coffee and donuts or muffins. We will have a short precount presentation and get routes lined out and will then head to the field.
Contact – Lisa Church at (435)644-1273..
19 December, (Saturday)
- This will be the 55th year of the CBC for the Logan, UT count, first begun in 1955,
and centered at the Diet Coke machine at the convenience store in Hyde Park, UT
(Latitude/Longitude: 41.7992730000, -111.8333491000). Please join us, we need
beginners as well as experienced birders to find owls, falcons, and odd ducks, even
feathered ones. Contact Bryan Dixon, 435-760-0691, [email protected], for
more information or to join the Count! With your help, and a wink from Mother Nature,
we could break 100 species - again! And, as always, there will be a fabulous potluck
the evening of the count to compile the results.
- We have twelve groups available, which cover wetlands, rural areas, the town of Moab and some of the outlying high desert including several riparian canyons.
This years count will be held on Saturday December 19th with a brunch the following day. To participate call Marcy Hafner at 435-259-6197 or email:
- Meet at Denny’s (Take 21st Street to 1100 West, on north side by Flying J Plaza, Ogden) for breakfast and to get your assignment. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars. Potluck dinner at 6:00 pm at UCC Church (3350 South Harrison Blvd.) for compilation of data. Bring table service and a dish to share.
Ouray National Wildlife Refuge / Green River
- Meet at the Refuge Office at 8am. For those interested in staying overnight, some space may be available at the bunkhouse. For more information contact Diane Penttila, Ouray NWR Refuge Biologist at (435)545-2522 x 112 or
- Time for the best holiday tradition there is - the Christmas Bird Count! This year is the 116th count and we have over 40 years of data for Provo. As usual, our meeting this month will include a bird count quiz and then we will go over the assignments and groups. Please let me know if you can't be at the meeting and want to participate in the bird count. Plan on attending the result compiling and pot luck dinner too after the bird count!
For more info about the bird count contact Bryan Shirley: , 801-722-9346
Salt Lake City
- Leader: Pomera Fronce - Starting times and locations will be determined by team leaders. Our potluck social with team reports, count tally and door prizes, will begin at 6pm at the Chase Mill in Liberty Park. Contact Pomera Fronce at or 801-272-2755 if you plan to participate or to obtain further information.
- Zion inside the count circle are within and adjacent to Zion National Park and are normally pre-assigned before count day. Participants that pre-register with the compiler will have the park entrance fee waived. Tally Rally starts at 5 PM in the Zion Natural History Association Conference Room in the headquarters/administration building in the park. Please contact compiler Cassie Waters for further information - 435 772-0212 or .
20 December, (Sunday)
- We are pleased to announce the 5th annual Utah Birders Park City Christmas Bird Count and invite you to participate! The Christmas Bird Count (CBC) is a census of birds performed annually in December and January by volunteer birders. The purpose is to provide population data for use in science, especially conservation biology--though many people participate just for fun.
The 2015 Park City CBC will take place on Sunday, December 20, 2015 starting at 8am and going until 1:00 PM. We will split up into several teams to cover areas from Jordanelle north to Jeremy Ranch and from Summit Park east to Rockport and Peoa.
For more information and to sign up visit utahbirders.com/cbc
We will begin meeting at 7:45 AM at the Park City Bread & Bagel:
The CBC is a free event, but we encourage anyone who participates to donate $5 to our ongoing conservation effort for birds here in Utah.
If you have any questions feel free to visit us at utahbirders.com/cbc, or contact us at [email protected] or Nate Brown at 970-978-1804 [email protected].
23 December, (Wednesday)
- Meet at the Utah DWR (515 East 5300 South, South Ogden) at 7:30 am to carpool for breakfast at Spring Chicken Inn (4 North State Street, Morgan) at 8:00 am. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars. For more info, email Weston smith at .
26 December, (Saturday)
- The St. George Christmas Bird Count has a high count possible (everyone, including birds, likes coming here for the winter). We have beautiful scenery, great weather, and nice people. Please state your name, email address, level of birding, and if you are familiar with the area. We want this to be a great experience for you. Questions? Contact Marilyn Davis - RCA 435 673-0996 or .
27 December, (Sunday)
Bear Lake (Utah Count)
- Contact Dennis Austin @ 435-245-4177 or for information and/or sign-up. The count usually has 10 or more observers. About 55 species and 2,000 birds are annually counted.
28 December, (Monday)
- The Silver Reef Christmas Bird Count is diverse with ponds, reservoirs, historical sites, beautiful scenery, and great weather. Please give your name, email address, level of birding, and if you are familiar iwth the area. We want this to be a great experience fo you. If you have questions, call Marilyn Davis at RCA 435 673-0996 or email at .
1 January, (Friday)
- Meet at the parking lot outside Antelope Island State Park entrance kiosk at 8:00 am. It is an all day trip. Bring water and lunch. Walkie talkies on frequency 11-22 will be used to communicate between cars. This is a fee area.
- Leaders: Jeanne Le Ber and Ray Smith - meet at 7am at Johanna’s Kitchen, 9725 South State Street, Sandy (801-566-1762). Assignments will be distributed and groups will start birding at 8am. Team reports and count tally will begin at 6pm at the Sizzler on 9000 S. & State St. To sign up, or for more information, call Jeanne or Ray at (801-532-7384).
2 January, (Saturday)
Dead Horse Point | 2012 report - PDF | Dinosaur NM / Jensen
- Contact Kathy Paulin at:
Fish Springs NWR
- Please contact Tiffany Cummins at if you have any questions or would like to attend.
- Join us at Wasatch Mountain State Park and the surrounding area. We will meet at 8:00 am at the Visitor Center located at 1281 Warm Springs Road, Midway, Utah 84049. For more information contact: Kathy Donnell at (435) 654-1791 or .
- The Payson count will be on Jan 2. Great way to start the new year!
Hopefully you can come out and enjoy the best Holiday Tradition!
For more info contact Bryan Shirley at 801-722-9346 or
4 January, (Monday)
Bear Lake (Idaho Count)
- Contact Dennis Austin @ 435-245-4177 or for information and/or sign-up. (The Bear Lake CBC on the Utah side is on December 27th.
Glen Canyon (Page, AZ)
- Meet at Glen Canyon NRA headquarters on Highway 89 at 07:30 a.m. The count will take place on the Colorado River below Glen Canyon Dam, nearby segments of Lake Powell, and by land within our count radius. For questions contact John Spence at: (928) 608-6267 or . Free T-Shirts will be provided to participants by the Glen Canyon Natural History Association.
5 January, (Tuesday)
Previous Year, (In the order in which they were held last year)
Evanston WY and UT
Those interested should meet 7:30 am at the Hornet's Nest Gas Station, 8 miles north of Evanston on Rt 89. The Evanston circle holds the all-time record count for Greater Sage-Grouse, 698 in 1986.
For more details contact Tim Gorman at 307-789-3833 or 307-679-0656
Pipe Spring National Monument (not being held in 2015)
- From 8 am to 5 pm. "It doesn't take long to cover Pipe Spring - it's only 40 acres... we do some road counts along the county road that goes past the monument and along AZ 389." Contact: Paula Ogden-Muse, "I would like folks to contact me about their interest to be sure that we meet each other at the visitor center at the correct time:" 928-643-7105 x 16 (Monday - Friday) or via email . Poster
Bluff (not held -- 2011 through 2014)
- Come help us count birds in one of the most scenic count areas in the United States. We'll have a pre-count meeting and make count area assignments Sunday evening (12/28) in the Recapture Lodge at 7 p.m. The count will begin at 7 a.m. Monday morning in the north parking lot of the Recapture Lodge and run until dusk.
Recapture Lodge: 250 South Main Street, PO Box 309 Bluff, UT 84512, Phone 435-672-2281, Fax 435-672-2284 Contact: Lu Giddings - 801-423-1682 or .