Re: FW: brant-Bear River Migratory Refuge

I spent about three hours this afternoon at BRMBR, mostly checking the south
end of Unit 2, the boundaries of which are described by the auto tour loop.
There were some fun birds, including a gull or two I tried without success to
turn into jaegers, but ultimately nothing unusual was observed. The water
levels appear to be up about 10"-15" compared to those seen at the end of
August on the UOS Behind-The-Gates trip. Nearly all of the mud flats in Unit 2
are gone, as were most of the wading birds. A few American avocet were seen.
Many waterfowl are present in the south end of the unit, but generally at a
distance of 6-800 yards from the road - substantially out of shotgun range.
Pintails, American wigeon, and ruddy ducks were easy to identify at that
distance. There are also numerous Canada geese, and coots as well. Water levels
are also visibly higher in unit 3, to the east of the auto tour loop, and in
unit 1, to the north of the loop, than they were six weeks ago. Who knows what
may be hiding in the large mass of birds in unit 2 or in the adjacent units.

Lu Giddings