Bear River Count

Waterbird/Raptor Count
10/08/04

As Lu indicated, water levels in the wetland units are slowly coming up as
more Bear River water is headed our way.  Waterfowl numbers are about
average for this time of the year though much higher than the last two
years.  Canvasback and Redhead numbers are way above the long-term average.
Just a few shorebirds (Avocet) scattered here and there.  Flocks of
dowitchers were observed within the closed area.  Within the tour loop one
can observe Canada Geese, coot, A. Wigeon, Ruddy Duck, mallard, pintail,
Great Blue Heron, American Avocet, Ring-billed Gull, California Gull,
Northern Harrier, Peregrine Falcon, Pelican, Cormorant, Eared Grebe,
Pied-billed Grebe, Western Grebe and Clark's Grebe.  I didn't find the
Brant as of yesterday (10/12/04).  The Geese however, are highly mobile so
may be difficult to re-sight.

Canada Goose            1411
Mallard                 11741
Pintail                 37924