FW: brant-Bear River Migratory Refuge

Birdnet Email -- from the website

----Original Message Follows----

It was submitted by Karen Welch.

Subject: brant-Bear River Migratory Refuge

Email_Address: vonwelch@sisna.com

Message: The sighting was at the Bear River Migratory Refuge near Brigham City NOT the Bear Lake refuge as reported.
Please forgive the mistake from a first time poster to the hotline. Karen was so excited about the sighting that she didn't proof read the email that I sent.
Here is a little more detail:
If you travel to the refuge on the dirt road, you eventually come to a one lane cement bridge that is the start of the counter-clockwise loop. If you travel around the loop, I found the brant near the very end, 1 turn before returning to the building and bridge where you start the loop. I believe that was at the south end of the refuge. When my son and I first saw it, it was fairly close to the road--maybe 100 feet, mixed in with a scattering of coots. It had white on the flank which is what made it stick out. A closer look showed the unmistakable look of a brant--white necklace, long neck, short bill. I have seen flocks of them in San Diego. The bird slowly swam away as I was taking pictures and eventually got out of range. The pictures show the distinctive sillouette of a brant but not much detail. I didn't notice the details on the coloring, except to say that it seemed that the neck and belly were almost uniformly dark. We observed it for about half an hour.