UCB Newsletter - October

Utah County Birders Newsletter October 2005

For the full newsletter ( Feather Talk, Field Trip Reports, Field Trip Photos, Backyard Bird of the Month and more) visit http://www.utahbirds.org/newsletters/2004-5/2005_10.html .

OCTOBER MEETING:

Wednesday, October 12th.

Birding Book Reviews - We will have a panel of club members review a birding book each.

So far the list includes -

Kingbird Highway - Tom Williams
Birding on Borrowed Time - Ned Hill
The Big Year - Alona Huffaker
The Feather Quest - Margaret Sanchez
To See Every Bird - Tom Williams
Red-tails in Love - Bonnie Williams
Spix's Macaw - Tuula Rose
Birders: Tales of a Tribe - Eric Huish
The Complete Birder - Glenn Barlow
Birds of Prey in the American West - LeIla Ogden
Brushed by Feathers - Alton Thygerson

Meet at 7:00 PM in the Bean Museum Auditorium on the BYU Campus.

FIELD TRIPS:

October 9th (Sun): The Big Sit! - The Big Sit is like a Big Day in that the object is to tally as many bird species as can be seen or heard within 24 hours. The difference lies in the area limitation (inside a 17-foot circle) from which you can observe. Hundreds of teams from around the world will be sitting on Oct. 9th. We will sit on the East side of the Provo Airport Dike were the moat makes the first bend (were the mud flats are this year). We sat at the airport dike last year and counted 45 species, in 2003 we counted 53. Everyone is invited to join for the whole day or any part of it, come and leave when you want. We will start at 6:00 A.M. and end after dark (We may take a break mid afternoon ~2-5pm). Our goal is to beat 53 species.

October 22nd (Sat): East Canyon Reservoir and Morgan Co. area - Meet at 8:00 A.M. at the 800 North park and ride at the mouth of Provo Canyon (on the North side of 8th North between the gas station and the mouth of the canyon.)

For the full newsletter ( Feather Talk, Field Trip Reports, Field Trip Photos, Backyard Bird of the Month and more) visit http://www.utahbirds.org/newsletters/2004-5/2005_10.html .

Eric Huish
Pleasant Grove UT
poorwill_@hotmail.com