Fw: Utah Lake project

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Jeff Salt" <jeffsalt@greatsaltlakeaudubon.org>
To: <seandphelan@yahoo.com>, "Wayne Martinson" <wmart.dsawyer@aros.net>,
         "'Cullen Battle'" <cbattle@fabianlaw.com>,
         "Joro Walker" <utah@lawfund.org>,
         "Alan Matheson" <amatheson@tu.org>,
         "Jeff McCreary" <jmccreary@ducks.org>,
         "Chris Montague" <cmontague@tnc.org>,
         "Genevieve Atwood" <genevieveatwood@attbi.com>,
         <aeyre@TNC.ORG>, <sam.rushforth@uvsc.edu>,
         <sage2222@juno.com>, <Pdremann@xmission.com>,
         "Allan Daly" <allan.daly@attbi.com>,
         "Daren Tuttle" <DAREN_TUTTLE@BD.COM>, <maunsel3616@msn.com>,
         "Joel Peterson" <jpeterson@tnc.org>,
         "Darrell Mensel" <dmensel@xmission.com>,
         <wbodie@pheasantsforever.org>, <bmiller@lawfund.org>,
         <fishonsfw@aol.com>, <mtwitchell@audubon.org>,
         "Lynn de Freitas" <ldefreitas@earthlink.net>,
         <scotchipman@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:06:57 -0600
Subject: Utah Lake project

Hello folks,
I am writing to get everyone's opinion about holding a press conference.

For several weeks we have discussed holding a press conference to expand
public
awareness about the Utah Lake court case and loss of public lands. We
have actually
scheduled this for several different times and then cancelled at the last
minute.

I have been leading reporters along for each event, making them think
there is a
really important story, only to tell them it isn't happening yet.

At this time, the situation has changed a lot since we first started into
this issue.
The really big change is the intervention by interested parties. This
complicates
working with the press so that we don't jeopardize our potential standing
if we are
accepted into the case.

No there are comments from participating entities expressing different
views about
holding a press conference. Since we are actually filing the intervention
tomorrow,
Wednesday July 9th, it has been recommended that we hold off again on
having the
press conference, or even scrub the conference altogether, and just
submit a press
release and let the media contact us if they want to.

Personally, I don't agree with taking such a passive approach. If we want
to get the
news out, a press release won't be effective. A press release will only
work for the
print media, because television and radio need talking heads and sound
bites. If the
print media picks up the story, then for sure the other media outlets
will follow,
because they get a lot of news from the newspapers, and follow up.

I volunteered to do the media conference, and would still be in favor of
having a
full-blown media conference at Utah Lake. This is a big news story item.
That is not
to say that we just get all amped up and blather a bunch of incoherent
information to
the news. To me, it seems that some in the group are afraid of going to
the news. If
this is the case, please, let's hear those arguments against going to the
news,
especially since we thought this was an important part of our strategy
from early on.

If we finally decide to go to the news, then let's find out from the
legal team what
points we should not discuss, and what our message is to the community. I
have spent
a fair amount of time getting press ready for this event, but feel my
time has been
wasted by the indecision of some group members. I would like some final
decision so I
don't continue to waste more time pursuing this.

I need input ASAP from the group. Please pass this along to any that I
have not
listed in the email heading.

Thanks,
Jeff Salt