Bryce Canyon

    For those of you who are doing the National Parks contest and haven't done Bryce Canyon yet, I thought maybe I could give you the lowdown on where we found our birds.  We birded the Park on Thursday afternoon and got 42 species.  It is entirely possible to get the species within the park boundaries, however, for those who do not hike, you may want to include the Ruby's Inn area.  The park includes it and S63 to Highway 12 on their checklist of Bryce Canyon birds, and Robin says he would allow those parameters.
    There is water in four places in the park, however the Riggs Spring Loop Trail has a road you can sometimes lose, and the Under the Rim Trail looks long.  We chose to go down the Swamp Canyon, Sheep Creek Connecting Trail, but not much further than where the water, a mere trickle, first disappeared.  Here we saw Turkey Vultures, a Red-naped Sapsucker, Flicker, Plumbeous Vireo, Steller's Jay, Raven, Mountain Chickadee, both Nuthatches, Western Bluebird, Townsend's Solitaire, Robin, 3 or 4 Warblers (We couldn't remember if we saw Grace's there are not as they seemed to be everywhere we stopped) Western Tanager, Green Tailed Towhee and Junco's.
    The Mossy Cave Trail is a full stream of water and includes a waterfall and weeping cave.  Many of the birds we had already seen, but it did include, a Golden Eagle, Steller's Jays, Ravens, Swallows, Mountain Chickadee, Western Bluebirds, Townsend's Solitaire, Robin, Western Tanager, Junco, Bullock's Oriole, Brewer's Blackbirds, Warbling Vireo, Plumbeous Vireo, and a Cordilleran Flycatcher.
    There are Pooh Ponds behind the visitor's center that you might check out.  They are accessed by taking the first right after entering the Residential area just south of the Visitor's Center.
    The road to Paria View was good and at the view point the Swifts zip right over your head, of course those 90 percent mouths with wings are there also just waiting to make you itch.
    You might try for the operating Osprey nest on the west side of the road just before reaching Farview Point, and Peregrines at Fairyland Point.
    Other than those areas, we just stopped at the Lodge and other public areas and picked up a few birds each place.
    One of the best sightings of the trip occurred along S20, the connecting road between I15 and Highway 89 south of Beaver.  Between  8:30 - 9:00 P.M. for a couple of blocks the sky was literally filled with Common Night Hawks. Hundreds. We had to stop and enjoy.  A perfect ending to a fun, fun day.
Carol Nelson