Kentucky Warbler, Upper Sand Cove Res. WASH. CO.

Hello,
This afternoon (8/30) I saw a first fall Kentucky Warbler at Upper Sand Cove
Reservoir, Washington County, UT.  Upper Sand Cove Reservoir is completely
dry, allowing easy access into the (usually inundated) willows on the north
side.  The Kentucky Warbler was foraging in the dry inflow channel that runs
into the willows from the north.  It was foraging on the ground in the
drying mud (catching flies and winged ants) with several MacGillivray's and
Wilson's Warblers, as well as Song and Black-throated Sparrows.  It was
fairly secretive and did not allow a very close approach, so I set up the
scope and was able to study it off and on for approximately 30 minutes.  It
would forage in the open dry channel, if I was still and stayed on the
opposite end of the channel.  It was very active, and noticeably larger and
heavier than the nearby MacGillivray's warblers.  Underside (chin, throat,
breast, belly, and undertail coverts) was a very bright yellow, and upper
parts were a uniform olive green from top of head to upperside of its
relatively short tail.  Cheek patches were a grayish brown (duller than
illustrated in popular field guides).  The characteristic yellow spectacles
were also not as well defined as pictured in  field guides.  I appears to be
a first fall female.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if anyone would like any additional
information.

Rick Fridell
Hurricane, UT