burrowing owl

Burrowing owl sighted on Antelope Island. 1-6-2006.
I apologize for my previous email not indicating where the burrowing owl is located.  I saw the bird again yesterday 1-12-2006.  This is the second burrowing owl found to be wintering on the island.

Antelope Island is located off I-15 exit 332.  When exiting from I-15, turn west onto Antelope Drive (1700 South). It is approx 7 miles before you get to the entrance station and another 7.2 miles across the causeway.

When you get to the island, take the right hand fork and go toward the visitor center.  As you pass the visitor center road (on your left) continue south approx. 1/4 mile (towards beach), there is a little pump house on the east side (left) of the road.  As you pass the pumphouse, you will curve (right) directly west.   As the curve straightens (approx 100 yards from pump house) and before you turn into the next curve (south)(left), the owl will be about 25 yards off the road to the north (right).

Little guy sits right up and lets you take some great pictures from your
car.  Please do not disturb bird or burrow site.

This is the same area as the sage grouse that was located on 1-6-2006.
If you locate the sage grouse, please let me know where.  We will track this bird for future reference which will hopefully lead to an introduction of grouse to the island.

Also, there has been reports of a burrowing owl on the causeway between mile marker 2 and 3, ususally sitting on the concrete barrier.  Please keep posting this information.  We have an individual whom is tracking these birds and getting GPS coordinates for us.  And please let me know location of other sightings.

There is a great number of you whom bird on the island and causeway.
If you are interested, let me know when you are coming.  I would love to join you if I can.

Thank you

Jolene