trumpeter swans in Salem

At about 4:30 p.m. I spotted two juvenile trumpeter swans swimming on a
small pond in Salem. The identification was based principally on head
shape, the shape of the forehead where the bill inserts, and bill color
as described in Sibleys. Not 100% certain of my identification, I called
Dennis Shirley and he and Bryan drove down. We managed to get a few more
good looks before it became too dark to continue. Collectively we were
mostly convinced that the birds were indeed juvenile trumpeters but
still not 100% certain. If you'd like to take a look at them you can
hopefully find them on a small pond at 400 N and Main Street in Salem.
Note that the pond and the land surrounding it is all private property.
You can see much of the pond from the streets on the south and west of
it. Keep your fingers crossed and hope that the birds are still present
and cooperative.

Lu Giddings