Greater Scaup at Mantua

I finally made it back to Mantua Reservoir in Box Elder County today to
check on the scaup I saw there a couple weeks ago.  Most of them are
definitely GREATER SCAUP; in fact, I only saw about 6 Lessers as
compared to 30 or so Greaters. A duck hunter at the north end--the
scaup's usual hangout--provided a birdwatcher's serendipity as most of
the ducks had moved to the more accessible south end.  I found 2 drake
and 8 hen Greater Scaup near the boat ramp on the southwest side.  The
remaining waterfowl were tucked in a cove at the southeast corner of the
reservoir.

Some of the scaup drakes are not completely in alternate plumage yet.
Some sported mottled brownish sides and flanks as opposed to clean
white.  In addition, some of the males still have dark brownish-looking
heads as opposed to black with a green glint.  The sunlight was strong
enough to see the green glint on all the males fully in alternate
plumage even though this isn't considered a reliable field mark.  The
Lesser males' heads glinted purple. One maverick Lesser drake glinted
green.

Other species present today included fair numbers of Gadwall and
American Wigeon, Mallards, Northern Shovelers, a lone Canvasback,
Redheads, a pair of Ring-necked Ducks, Buffleheads, Common Goldeneyes,
and just a couple Common Mergansers.  No species was present in great
numbers; in fact, I'd say Greater Scaup numbers equaled Gadwall and
wigeon numbers.

American Coot are all over the place.  It was intriguing to watch the
American Wigeon and Gadwall rip off the coots every time the coots
surfaced with some delectable, slimy brown weed.  When the ducks stole
the coots' dinners, the coots would hunt around quickly as if wondering
what happened to the food they had just brought to the surface.  I don't
think this species will ever get it.

The southeast corner is accessible by driving around the south end of
the reservoir on the dike road until you reach a locked gate.  Walk
through the pedestrian access and continue on the road until you're
approximately 150 yards short of where the road curves due north.
There's a slight break in the willows lining the water's edge on the
left that allows access to the cove I mentioned above and some
concealment for the birder. The water has iced up around the edge, so a
scope is necessary for the best view.

Mantua Reservoir is located in the town of Mantua, about 2 miles east of
Brigham City on US 89/91.