Yellow-shafted Flicker

 I didn't believe my husband, Bill, when he said he
saw yellow when the Northern Flicker he was observing
in my backyard flew.  He was right - I was wrong.  It
was a male Yellow-shafted Flicker. He was a beauty,
picture perfect. I phoned Paul Higgins.  He came right
over and saw the bird.  Yeah for Paul, a life bird for
him.   That was Friday evening, Sept. 30 about 6:00
pm.  Our neighbors, completely unaware of the
important things in life, had the nerve to go into
their own backyard and scare the flicker off.   We
haven't seen teh flicker since. I'll keep watching and
let you know.  pat medell