Curlew Sandpiper

About 7:30 this evening Kathy and I found a Curlew Sandpiper along the
Antelope Island Causeway.  It was on the north side, a little more than
.4 (four-tenths) mile west of the entrance station, where the water first
begins.  It was in winter (non-breeding) plumage, and was with a large
flock of peeps, mainly Western and Baird's Sandpipers.  With a plain gray
body, long black legs and decurved bill, the bird really stood out in the
scope.  At 20-25 yards away, it wasn't quite so noticable in binoculars.
We saw at least one, probably two, American Golden Plovers, on the north
side about mm 5, amongst many Black-bellied Plovers.  The Whimbrel was on
the south side, about a quarter mile west of mm 1.
Pomera and Roberta told us about the Sabine's Gull, and we looked for and
found it on the north side of the causeway halfway between mm 3 and 4.
A couple hours at Garr Ranch produced a nice assortment of birds,
including Cassin's, Plumbeous and Warbling Vireo, lots of Wilson's
Warblers, Western Tanagers, Barn and Long-eared Owls, and numerous
flycatchers (Olive-sided, Willow, and misc. empids) and a Say's Phoebe.

Joel