Northern Waterthrush - East Bay, Provo

Hello All,
There was at least one and possibly another NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH on the north side of the Kunhi Wetlands, along the little channel the runs just north of the trail. This is all South of the East Bay Golf Course (http://www.utahbirds.org/counties/utahco/ProvoWetlands.htm)

The first Waterthrush I saw, I had about 5 seconds to look at it before it flew off (about 1/4 mile to the south). I assumed Northern but was wary of the power of suggestion (since I saw the post about the Northern Waterthrush at Garr Ranch and then went out birding). Worrying that I would only have "waterthrush sp." to report, I continued on. The second sighting was along the trail, perhaps 1/4 mile west of Kuhni Rd. I heard it at first and was quite certain that this was a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH and ended up getting some nice looks to confirm. Thin eyeline, no buffiness but I find the song is an easier way to tell apart Northerns and Louisianas. It was still singing when I left at around 2:45.

Other species present were MARSH & HOUSE WRENS, C. YELLOWTHROAT, YELLOW & YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, SORA (heard 2 calling), BARN, TREE and ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS, an OSPREY, AVOCET, B-N STILT, SPOTTED SANDPIPER,KILLDEER, CASPIAN & FORSTER'S TERNS, WESTERN TANAGER, BULLOCK'S ORIOLE.

Also, at the Provo Cemetery, lots of PINE SISKINS and AUDUBON'S YELLOW-RUMPRDS, a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, VIRGINIA'S & BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS.

Good Birding,
Matt Williams
Provo, UT