black scoter still at Sand Hollow

The black scoter is still at Sand Hollow. I watched it for about 30
minutes at 2 p.m. this afternoon. Once again it was very much by itself
in the area behind the south dike. I watched it preen for quite some
time, and then watched it swim and fish. It would be very easy to
mistake this bird for a ruddy duck if you did not take a careful look at
it. To complicate matters, there are currently plenty of ruddy ducks at
Sand Hollow. It looks more like the female black scoter in National
Geographic's field guide than in Sibley's, in my humble opinion,
although the drawings are very similar.

To get the best look at the bird - assuming it remains Rick where
reported it - drive 0.3 miles past the Sand Hollow fee station. At the
top of the dike, almost behind the restroom, is a sign that says "Beach
Access." Follow the dirt road to the south-west as far as your vehicle
will permit. I watched the bird from a distance of about 3-400 yards.

Thanks for posting a great bird, Rick and Larry!

Lu Giddings