Winter Wren

We spent today birding the Brighton area, from Silver Lake to Lake Solitude to Twin Lakes to Lake Mary and back to Silver Lake.
We found a singing Winter Wren in the summer cabin area accessible from the Silver Lake parking lot.  It was at the bottom end of the paved road at the gate, in the wet bushy area to the right (north?).  It was singing quite lustily at 7:30 in the morning, but a late afternoon attempt at relocating the bird was unsuccessful.
Other notable sightings included 2 pairs of Williamson's Sapsuckers (both feeding young at their respective nest holes), a pair of vigilant Northern Goshawks with at least two nearly full grown nestlings, a Three-toed Woodpecker, and a very large mixed flock of Red Crossbills, Pine Siskins, Red-breasted and White-breasted Nuthatches (no White-winged Crossbills, darn it!), and many Pine Grosbeaks.

Joel and Kathy Beyer