New Castle Brown Pelican

The imm. Brown Pelican was still at New Castle Res., Iron Co. this morning (Sat. 5/15) between 10a – 11a.  Right now there seems to be some confusion (at least from what I’ve heard-all second and third hand) on whether the Brown Pelican found at Beaver was released at Quail Creek Res. or New Castle Res. I have also heard third hand that the Beaver bird may have been an adult, which if true then the New Castle bird is a different bird. I’m trying to find out all the exact details and will post what I find out as soon as I find out something.  Some people are asking if you can count the Brown Pelican if it was captured and then released. Well, I’m not sure what the “official rules” on that would be. The bird(s) obviously made it to Utah on its own. I do know that ABA rules say you can count a mist-netted bird only after it has been released for 2 hours and you re-find it. Is this the same thing? It was transported somewhere else (i.e. assisted by man to its new location). But like I’ve said before I feel personal lists are just that –personal- and you can count whatever you want. I feel you should play by the rules though if you submit your list(s) for publication along with others. Whatever the outcome of this Brown Pelican saga it is one of few records for the state and a great bird.

Steve Summers

Cedar City