Garr Ranch - WOW!

Pam Larson, Laurie Rasmussen, Melisa Karns and I went up to the Great Salt Lake Festival yesterday (from St. George, Cedar City, and Orem), and decided to do our own little field trip out to Antelope Island. We saw pretty cool stuff on the causeway- lots of California Gulls, Red-necked Phalaropes, and Sanderlings. Then we headed over to the Fielding Garr Ranch. We very soon were looking at several Yellow-rumped Warblers, and then there was an American Kestrel by the silo, a Say's Phoebe on the barn, and two male Western Tanagers on the fenceline south of the house. We worked our way down the little stream to the boggy part, where Laurie saw a HERMIT THRUSH picking around; that was soon followed by a Wilson's Warbler. I looked up from there, and saw a COMMON GRACKLE in the tall Russian olives behind. We worked our way around to the other side of the bog to see the grackle better, when we were stopped by first a Yellow-breasted Chat, then a Lazuli Bunting, and a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH all within a couple minutes. We worked our way back around to the north side of the stream again, and there was a LEWIS'S WOODPECKER up in another Russian Olive. What a hot spot. We saw one of the Festival tours come by - they saw the Wilson's Warbler, but then moved on before any of the other stuff showed. You all might keep an eye open there during the rest of the weeks events. Amazing birds (lifers for some of us) - Keep bringing'em in.
Kevin