Bountiful Landfill

Glenn Barlow and Pomera Fronce met me at the Bountiful Landfill today in search of the previously reported gulls. Here's what we found in about two hours of searching:

Ring-billed Gull - 100's
California Gull - dozens
Herring Gull - 100's of all ages
Thayer's Gull - We saw several first winter birds including one that we were able to get excellent looks at. I didn't find any today, but I had several adults yesterday.
"Olympic" Gull - the previously reported second winter hybrid
GLAUCOUS GULL - I saw a first winter bird flyover, but I was not able to get Glenn or Pomera on the bird
GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL - We saw the previously reported first winter bird just as we were leaving; I was also able to get a few photos of this gull in bad light yesterday so hopefully we can find out if this bird has ONLY Glaucous-winged genes.
LESSER BLACK=BACKED GULL - 1 second winter - Yes, this bird really does exist Cliff! We only saw the bird flying, but we were able to get fairly decent looks at it. The bird had a slate gray mantle that was slightly darker than nearby California Gulls with what appeared to be some old brown scapular and mantle feathers mixed in. I never was able to determine the percentage of the mantle that these older feathers occupied. The upperwing was largely dark brown with the inner primaries being slightly paler than the outer primaries. The uppertail coverts were mostly white with some brown feathers scattered about the region (a little more so than Sibley illustrates). The tail had a dark black band that was thickest towards the center of the tail. The outer retrices were a mix of white (especially closest to the body) and dark markings (I think on the inner webs of the feathers) before giving way to the dark tail band observed. I think there was also a pale outer edge to the dark tail band. The forehead, chest and undertail coverts were mostly white with only a few brown markings. The belly, flanks, and nape appeared to have more brown smudging than the rest of the underparts of the bird. From what I could tell the bill was fairly small (little if any gony angle) and black, but there could have been some pale towards the base of the bill. Although the mantle color is apparent, I do not find it to be very helpful when trying to spot this bird. I found that the dark tail band contrasting with the largely white uppertail coverts to be the easiest field mark to observe when trying to pick this bird out of a large flock of flying gulls.

THE BEST OF GOOD BIRDING!!!

Colby

and did got a good look at the bird standing, but we had awesome looks of the bird flying.