Utah & Wasatch Counties

March 22, 2003

What a beautiful day for birding and being outdoors.  Highlight birds seen
today include:
Common Loon - Deer Creek Reservoir near Island (now a peninsula)
American White Pelican - Utah Lake (viewed from SE corner of dike road)
Clark's Grebe - Utah Lake (viewed on west side of dike road)
Double-crested Cormorant - Utah Lake
Cinnamon Teal - Utah Lake
Red-breasted Merganser - Utah Lake (along dike road)
Common Merganser - Utah Lake (along dike road)
Red-breasted Nuthatch - Snake Creek Canyon west of Wasatch SP
Golden-crowned Kinglet - Snake Creek Canyon west of Wasatch SP
Brown Creeper - Snake Creek Canyon west of Wasatch SP
Steller's Jay - Snake Creek Canyon west of Wasatch SP & my backyard
Mountain Chickadee - Snake Creek Canyon west of Wasatch SP

Total of 42 species seen.

Went to Mona Reservoir last Thursday (March 20) afternoon for the Black
Scoter, but failed to locate it among the many Coots and other waterfowl.
Sandhill Cranes were seen west of the town of Mona.

Can anyone tell me when the Black Scoter was last seen at Mona Reservoir?
Can the Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches still be found at the Alta feeders?

Alton Thygerson