Tooele County & Alta

It was a great day for birding on Sunday.  We saw a great horned owl near
Fairfield, some beautiful golden eagles, lots of waterfowl on the James
Walter Fitzgerald WMA pond, and two northern shrike just across the road
from the pond.  I had four life birds, including the rosy-finches we saw at
Alta earlier that day.  Nicky had ten life birds.
On the way home we came up over a hill and just above the road two red-
tails were being chased by two peregrine falcons.  What a sight!
We also saw a different-looking large hawk in Vernon.  It had the brightest
orange-red feathers over all I have never seen on a red-tail (if it is a re-
tail), but I think it could be a rufous morph.  If anyone would like to
give me their opinion, the two photos can been seen here:
http://www.xmission.com/~cldavis/whathawk.html
The lighting wasn't the greatest so it doesn't really show the brightness
of the coloring.
We had around 40 species for the day.
Carol and Nicky Davis