A Kettle of "Kondors"

Hi all.

Members and friends of Red Cliffs Audubon, spent the the day Saturday (Feb.
8, '03) birding three sites; the Vermilion Cliffs on the west side of the
Paria Canyon-Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness, Lee's Ferry on the Colorado River
below Glen Canyon Dam, and Jacob Lake up on the Kaibab, all in Coconino
County, Arizona. In all, we saw 34 species, including the California Condor.

VERMILION CLIFFS
Imagine the excitement as 25 birders scoped at least 10 individual
California Condors both in flight and perched. Several of the birds rode
thermals along the cliff face, others remained atop large boulders.
Considering they have a wing span of nine feet, it was pretty impressive.
Several of the birds have reached adult status with all their prominent wing
and head markings.

Mike Small of the BlM, had us watch the birds for about half an hour, then
he gave about a half hour, 45 minute talk about Condors, their history and
future. There are currently 42 Condors in Northern Arizona, of which 17 are
at this site. "This is the largest flying land bird in North America."

In the 1980's only 22 birds existed in the wild, from a stock that once
roamed from BC to Baja, then dwindling to a range of just So. California.
The release site here at the Vermilion Cliffs in House Rock Valley is used
in the hopes of establishing a population of Condors in the Grand Canyon
area. This site began with the release of six birds in December of 1996.

But the most outstanding sighting of the day was on our leaving Lee's Ferry
and at the Jct. of the road to Lee's Ferry and Alt. 89 we saw one lone bird
soaring out over Marble Canyon. We stopped and piled out of our vehicles to
identify a California Condor. And then there, higher in the sky, were three
more Condors kettling, "enjoying" a warm afternoon. MAGNIFICENT!! Thanks
Mike.
California Condor
Horned Lark

LEE'S FERRY
Having birded this last year and having found Barrow's Goldeneyes, we were
in hopes for a repeat performance. No such luck. But the river certainly
wasn't lacking for birds.
Great Blue Heron
Green-winged Teal
Mallard
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup; we tried to turn several into Greaters, but they just wouldn't
have anything to do with it.
Common Goldeneye
Bufflehead
Common Merganser
Ruddy Duck
American Coot
Northern Flicker
Canyon Wren
Bewick's Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
White-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
House Finch

JACOB LAKE
This was on Alt. 89 at the Jct. with SR67. We stopped on a hunch and report
from Don Weldon about Pygmy Nuthatches seen earlier.
Steller's Jay; a stellar performance....
White-breasted Nuthatch (2)
Pygmy Nuthatch (20+) The little munchkins were all over a couple of
Ponderosa Pines.

ALONG THE WAY
Bald Eagle (2)
Red-tailed Hawk
Ferruginous Hawk (1)
Golden Eagle (1)
Mourning Dove
Pinyon Jay
Common Raven
American Robin
European Starling

The Condors, Baldys and Nuthatches made for a good day birding, in the
company of birders made for a great day birding. The icing on the cake, such
gorgeous scenery as only the Utah/Arizona border area can provide. I'll quit
before I get too maudlin.

Bill Hunter
St. George