Raptor Nesting Surveys - Caution

My wife and I did the Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument
Raptor Nesting Survey in 2001.  Peregrine is the main interest here.  A
judge ruled falconers could resume robbing Peregrine nests in June,
2001.  Falconers had our very precise nest locations through the Freedom
of Information Act, so our data were used primarily in the kidnapping of
young Peregrines.  Have you ever priced a Peregrine on the black
market?  I have.  See my letter in Birding, 10/01, p.397.

	The recent birdnet announcement did not involve much Peregrine country,
but I request you THINK before you volunteer.  Look at how your data may
be used, and remember you have an obligation as a birder to defend birds
from human predation.

Jens Munthe