Raptor Survey

I just finished writing the March/AprilNewsletter for the Layton Wild Bird Center.  There will be an article in it where I reprint excerpts from the Raptor Nest Survey solicitation for volunteers.  The article essentially provides information on the program, its purpose and asks volunteers who may be interested in participating to contact Dawn Sebesta the project coordinator.

Since writing that letter, I just read the posting on the birdnet from Jens Munthe.  It advises one to think before volunteering.  The essence of his posting was a concern for the gathered data being exploited by falconers.

It would seem that the project is an important one with the data gathered being useful for the various government agencies charged with managing the public lands where raptor nest occur.  What land management decisions might be made in the absence of such data?  Although everyone is certainly entitled to their own political opinions, I wonder if the birdnet is the appropriate place for political, editorial comment.  Even though Jens warning is well intentioned based on his viewpoints, they may be better offered in other more appropriate forums.

Since a judge has ruled, as Jens points out in his posting that Falconers can take raptors, the term "robbing" would be an editorial comment.  Robbing implies an illegal activity.  Falconers are not illegal.  They are licensed by the state of Utah.  Jens asks whether anyone has priced a Peregrine on the black market.  He points out that he has done so.  The trading of birds is illegal and such information should be passed along to the proper authorities.

Jens suggest that we have an obligation to defend birds from human predation, as birders.  I view this as his own opinion and point of view which is entitled to hold.  Hunting of waterfowl and upland game birds is a legal activity in Utah by properly licensed hunters.

The Layton Wild Bird Center (WBC) is a sponsor of HawkWatch International, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, Quail Unlimited, the National Turkey Wildlife Federation and a variety of other conservation nonprofit groups. I am a current member of the Wasatch Audubon Society Regional Chapter and past board member, a board member of the Ogden Nature Center and the environmental representative of the Rich County Coordinated Resource Committee.  The latter is composed of representatives from BLM, USNFS, DWR, Rich County Commissioners, land owners and hunters.  The Wild Bird Center hosts, manages and monitors the Division of Wildlife Resources Bird Sightings report on the DWR Web page, as well as the Utah Rare Bird report.  Many of these groups garner the major portion of their financial support from the hunting fraternity.  The bulk of conservation efforts over the last 70 years has been paid for by the hunting fraternity.

During a banquet that I attended in Atlanta last week at the Bird Watch America trade show, I heard Paul J. Baicich, editor of the American Birding Association magazine tell the audience that we should look for additional means to gather more money for conservation efforts from "nonconsumptive" users.  He suggests a method like the Federal Migratory Waterfowl stamp that has been purchased by hunters to support conservation efforts.  He pointed out that hunters have raised over 500 million dollars since 1930.  I suggest that we do not alienate them, since they pay their own way and pave the way for many others who do not contribute.

I as an individual refrain from expressing my own political opinion on the birdnet and the Wild Bird Center espouses no political position one way or the other on these issues.  I know that many of the birdnet supporters are bird lovers, as I am.  Some are legally licensed hunters (and perhaps falconers).  I make no effort to sort out whom may be whom.

Perhaps the web master might define the traditional, approved and encouraged uses of the birdnet, so that we can continue to enjoy it, as intended.  Please note that I do criticize Jens or his positions.  My suggestion is that they be offered elsewhere, other than the birdnet.

Respectfully,

Bill Fenimore
Owner
Layton Wild Bird Center