American Golden Plover, Lark Bunting

First off I went back down to Utah Lake State Park where I met up with Eric Huish.  We looked at the Plovers at the lake. There was still the Black Bellied and American Plovers. We tried to turn the American into a Pacific, but it didn't seem to be working. We then decided we would head out to Cedar Valley, Utah County. Our goal was to look for Short Eared Owls that had been reported out in the Cedar Valley Sinks. We headed out there around 5:30 P.M. There was a Feruginous Hawk in the town of Fairfield. Anyway we headed out on the road that goes directly east through the town of Fairfield. It is the same road that Camp Floyd Stagecoach Inn is on. If you take this paved road until the end of the pavement you hit a dirt road. Instead of heading east on the dirt road turn north on that dirt road. If you start driving along this road there is a sod farm on your east side of the road. It was along this road that we saw a female LARK BUNTING. She stayed along the road. There is some farm equipment on the east side of the road by the farm. Further up there is a trailor home and other homes. Between these two areas is where the Lark Bunting was. We relocated several times. It was seen half the time with a Lark Sparrow. It stayed close to the road. Also would fly up on fence posts. Looks very close to the one in the Sibleys guide of a female. There were also Horned Larks and Brewers Sparrows and Loggerhead Shrikes in the area. We didn't end up seeing any Short Eared Owls. But we saw a lifer for me, and a Utah Lifer for Eric. Best of birding. Hope this isn't too confusing

KC Childs

Do you Yahoo!?