Re: Trumpeter

I have spoken with Justin Dolling at Farmington Bay and there is some question now if the swan was a trumpeter. Though the left wing was clearly marked pink the bird did not have a collar on it's neck. According to Justin that may mean it was a tundra swan that was accidentally marked.

Sorry if I was wrong, I had received an e-mail earlier on the bird net to report any sighting of swans with pink wing markings as they are trumpeters that were tagged for tracking. If you could give me more info on these marked birds and what to look for I would appreciate it.

The swan was in the big south pond east of the Turpin dike at Farmington Bay about a half mile east of the gate. There were at least 200 swans in this pond Saturday morning.

I am going out again this weekend with a tour of Boy Scouts and I will keep a look out for collars this time.

Hope this helps Thanks Steve

>>> "Cliff and Lisa Weisse" <october@ida.net> 02/27/02 07:03PM >>>
Steve,

I spoke to a biologist that's doing research on Trumpeters and he really wants to know the location where you saw the marked bird.  I told him I'd ask you for more specific directions to where the bird was.  Thanks in advance.

Cliff

Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, ID
october@ida.net