Lytle Ranch, Day 1

- ------=_NextPart_000_016F_01C178E5.1E458140

I pulled into a dark Lytle Ranch about 7:00 Monday night.  The =
temperature was 46 degrees and I didn't suspect that would be as warm as =
it would get for the next 2 days!!  After eating a couple of pieces of =
cold chicken (am I the only one who feels guilt over eating chicken =
while birding??), I unrolled my sleeping bag and decided to get well =
rested for Tuesday's biding adventure.  (Besides that, there isn't a =
whole lot to do at Lytle after the sun goes down.)
When I woke up Tues morning at 6 it was 36 degrees INSIDE the van.  =
Outside was clear, a couple degrees cooler, and there was a slight =
breeze blowing from the north.  After a brief mental struggle as whether =
I could put my cold clothes back on, I ate a non-heated breakfast (hey, =
I'm alone this trip and don't plan on doing anything that might require =
work!), then I was ready for BIRDING!
The first bird of the day came and went without being identified.  Rats. =
 I wandered around the cottonwoods west of the parking lot and noticed =
many WHITE CROWNED SPARROWS and JUNCOS,  with a few NORTHERN FLICKERS to =
liven things up.  In the residential area were 4 SPOTTED TOWHEES =
feasting off the chicken feed that was spread out.  A pass through the =
orchard added DOWNY WOODPECKER, RED NAPED SAPSUCKER, VERDIN.  Further up =
the trail I spotted CACTUS WREN and RUBY CROWNED KINGLETS. =20
I got to the pond about 10, and was greeted by a MALLARD that made a =
quick fly away.  On the east side of the pond were 4 PHAINOPEPLAS, a =
couple of ABERT'S TOWHEES, TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE, and a COOPER'S HAWK.=20
I decided to head back to the Cooler Deli and put together a sandwich.  =
While re-routing through the orchard I saw a WESTERN MEADOWLARK, =
NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD, and 4 WESTERN BLUEBIRDS.  The sun must have =
awakend the WESTERN SCRUB JAYS as they were everywhere!!
After lunch another pass through the orchard and I saw LOGGERHEAD =
SHRIKE, 2 MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS (interesting that they were "hovering" much =
like kestrel's do!!), and in the grassy area west of the orchard a =
ROADRUNNER.
The day added 2 "Lifer's" to my list, and except for the very cold wind, =
it was a very enjoyable day!!

- ------=_NextPart_000_016F_01C178E5.1E458140

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I pulled into a dark&nbsp;Lytle Ranch =
about 7:00=20
Monday night.&nbsp; The temperature was 46 degrees and I didn't suspect =
that=20
would be as warm as it would get for the next 2 days!!&nbsp; After =
eating a=20
couple of pieces of cold chicken (am I the only one who feels guilt over =
eating=20
chicken while birding??), I unrolled my sleeping bag and decided to get =
well=20
rested for Tuesday's biding adventure.&nbsp; (Besides that, there isn't =
a whole=20
lot to do at Lytle after the sun goes down.)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>When I woke up Tues morning at 6 it was =
36 degrees=20
INSIDE the van.&nbsp; Outside was clear, a couple degrees cooler, and =
there was=20
a slight breeze blowing from the north.&nbsp; After a brief mental =
struggle as=20
whether I could put my cold clothes back on, I ate a non-heated =
breakfast (hey,=20
I'm alone this trip and don't plan on doing anything that might require =
work!),=20
then I was ready for BIRDING!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The first bird of the day&nbsp;came and =
went=20
without being identified.&nbsp; Rats.&nbsp; I wandered around the =
cottonwoods=20
west of the parking lot and noticed many WHITE CROWNED SPARROWS and=20
JUNCOS,&nbsp; with a few NORTHERN FLICKERS to liven things up.&nbsp; In =
the=20
residential area were 4 SPOTTED TOWHEES feasting off the chicken feed =
that was=20
spread out.&nbsp; A pass through the orchard added DOWNY WOODPECKER, RED =
NAPED=20
SAPSUCKER, VERDIN.&nbsp; Further up the trail I spotted CACTUS WREN and =
RUBY=20
CROWNED KINGLETS.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I got to the pond about 10, and was =
greeted by a=20
MALLARD that made a quick fly away.&nbsp; On the east side of the pond =
were 4=20
PHAINOPEPLAS, a couple of ABERT'S TOWHEES, TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE, and a =
COOPER'S=20
HAWK. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I decided to head back to the Cooler =
Deli and put=20
together a sandwich.&nbsp; While re-routing through the orchard I saw a =
WESTERN=20
MEADOWLARK, NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD, and 4 WESTERN BLUEBIRDS.&nbsp; The sun =
must=20
have awakend the WESTERN SCRUB JAYS as they were =
everywhere!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>After lunch another pass through the =
orchard and I=20
saw LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE, 2 MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS (interesting that they were=20
"hovering" much like kestrel's do!!), and in the grassy area west of the =
orchard=20
a ROADRUNNER.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The day added 2 "Lifer's" to my list, =
and except=20
for the very cold wind, it was a very enjoyable=20
day!!</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_016F_01C178E5.1E458140--