Lytle Ranch, Day 2

- ------=_NextPart_000_0185_01C178E8.58180700

Wednesday.  It was 27 degrees when I woke up at 6:30.  The sky was still =
clear, and there was only a slight breeze out of the north.  I learned =
from my experience of the night before and slept with my clothes rolled =
up at the bottom of my sleeping bag.  Much, much easier to put on!!!
I started birding at 7:30 and was surprised by the lack of activity.  =
Yesterday there had been many birds chirping at 7, but this morning was =
pretty quiet.  My hourney through the orchard and along the trail gave =
up a few of the same birds I had seen the previous day, but the actvity =
level was still pretty low.  I guess the birds recognize the cold better =
than we humans do.
Near the pond I flushed a covey of GAMBEL'S QUAILS.  So far that had =
been the highlight of the morning!
I began my trip back to the orchard and saw a GOLDEN EAGLE riding the =
thermals fising off of the east facing cliffs.  Then 2 COMMON RAVENS =
caught the same thermal's, and I thought they might pester the eagle, =
but they just played in the warming air for a couple of minutes, then =
flew north.
The raspberry "pile"  had a mockingbird sitting on top absorbing the =
suns rays.  While I was watching him enjoy the sun, a small bird flew =
into the middle of the pile.  Now my first thought was that it was =
another one of the gazbilliion white crowns that were everywhere, but =
something told me to "pish" it out.  It turned out to be a BEWICK'S =
WREN!  I had tried, unsuccessfully, to see a Bewick's when I was in St. =
George with the SL Birders-- it felt good to finally see one!  Also in =
the orchard was a SAYS PHOEBE, and 4 more Phainopeplas.
After another quick visit to the Cooler Deli, and a listen to the =
weather radio, I debated whether to stay and bird, and risk driving home =
in the storm, or head out early.  While I was pondering, I was watching =
the box elders and cottonwoods in the residential area.  There was quite =
a bit of activity (it was 44 degrees, and I think the birds finally woke =
up!!)  The first bird I saw was a LADDER BACKED WOODPECKER, followed by =
a slow to migrate YELLOW RUMPED WARBLER.  And remember how the Bewick's =
Wren had been my nemesis?  Yep, there were at least a half a dozen =
flying around, one that came within a few feet of me and chattered away!
Just as things were picking up, common sense ruled, I ate one last piece =
of cold chicken, and started the journey home.  I had seen 30 species at =
the ranch, and added 3 Lifer birds.  In spite of the cold, I enjoyed =
every minute!!!

Great Birding!!!
Bruce

- ------=_NextPart_000_0185_01C178E8.58180700

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wednesday.&nbsp; It was 27 degrees when =
I woke up=20
at 6:30.&nbsp; The sky was still clear, and there was only a slight =
breeze out=20
of the north.&nbsp; I learned from my experience of the night before and =
slept=20
with my clothes rolled up at the bottom of my sleeping bag.&nbsp; Much, =
much=20
easier to put on!!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I started birding at 7:30 and was =
surprised by the=20
lack of activity.&nbsp; Yesterday there had been many birds chirping at =
7, but=20
this morning was pretty quiet.&nbsp; My hourney through the orchard and =
along=20
the trail gave up a few of the same birds I had seen the previous day, =
but the=20
actvity level was still pretty low.&nbsp; I guess the birds recognize =
the cold=20
better than we humans do.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Near the pond I flushed a covey of =
GAMBEL'S=20
QUAILS.&nbsp; So far that had been the highlight of the =
morning!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I began my trip back to the orchard and =
saw a=20
GOLDEN EAGLE riding the thermals fising off of the&nbsp;east facing=20
cliffs.&nbsp; Then 2 COMMON RAVENS&nbsp;caught the same thermal's, and I =
thought=20
they might&nbsp;pester the eagle, but they just played in the warming =
air for a=20
couple of minutes, then flew north.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The raspberry "pile"&nbsp; had a =
mockingbird=20
sitting on top absorbing the suns rays.&nbsp; While I was watching him=20
enjoy&nbsp;the sun, a small bird flew into the middle of the pile.&nbsp; =
Now=20
my&nbsp;first thought was that it was another one of the =
gazbilliion&nbsp;white=20
crowns that were everywhere, but something told me to&nbsp;"pish" it =
out.&nbsp;=20
It turned out to be a BEWICK'S WREN!&nbsp; I had =
tried,&nbsp;unsuccessfully, to=20
see a Bewick's when I was in St. George with the SL Birders-- =
it&nbsp;felt good=20
to finally see one!&nbsp;&nbsp;Also in the orchard was a SAYS PHOEBE, =
and 4 more=20
Phainopeplas.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>After another quick visit to the Cooler =
Deli, and a=20
listen to the weather radio, I debated&nbsp;whether to stay and bird, =
and risk=20
driving home in the storm, or head out early.&nbsp; While I was =
pondering, I=20
was&nbsp;watching the box elders and cottonwoods in the residential=20
area.&nbsp;&nbsp;There was quite a bit of activity (it was 44 degrees,=20
and&nbsp;I think the birds finally woke up!!)&nbsp; The first bird I saw =
was a=20
LADDER BACKED WOODPECKER, followed by a slow to migrate YELLOW RUMPED=20
WARBLER.&nbsp; And remember how the Bewick's Wren had been my =
nemesis?&nbsp;=20
Yep, there were at least a half a dozen flying around, one that came =
within a=20
few feet of me and chattered away!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Just as things were picking up, common =
sense ruled,=20
I ate one last piece of cold chicken, and started the journey =
home.&nbsp; I had=20
seen 30 species at the ranch, and added 3 Lifer birds.&nbsp; In spite of =
the=20
cold, I enjoyed every minute!!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Great Birding!!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>Bruce</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0185_01C178E8.58180700--