Antelope Island Causeway

- ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C16EEF.6EB55060

Today was such a beautiful day I thought, why not go out to AIC on my =
way home from my daughter's house in Clearfield?  I got out on the =
causeway a little after 4 p.m. and proceeded slowly west.  Both =
Farmington Bay, on the south, and the GSL, on the north, were like =
glass.  Beautiful!  First I came to some ducks on the north side, which =
were mainly Northern Shovelers and a few Northern Pintails.  Further on =
there were more of the same, with a few Eared Grebes here and there  =
Suddenly I spotted some different looking grebes on the south side, in =
the bay.  Yep, a flotilla of 4 Horned Grebes.  Just then a car pulled up =
on the opposite side of the road to take a look.  I said, "They look =
like Horned Grebes to me."  He looked at them and said, "I agree."  (I =
was finally able to make a few Horned Grebes out of all the Eared =
Grebes.)  Further on, 1/10 of a mile before the antenna on the right, =
and 3/10 of a mile before the 1 mile marker, I finally found what I was =
looking for for such a long time--a Surf Scoter (f)!  Only one!  The sun =
was just right so that it cast the right amount of light on the bird.  =
It was all brown with a darker crown on the top of the head, with two =
white patches on each side of the head.  I was pleased that the NGS =
Guide said, "Adult female and first winter male may (emphasis added) =
have a whitish nape. . .", since I did not see one.  Otherwise it looked =
just like the picture of the female Surf Scoter in NGS!  So, I finally =
got one!

I then turned around and left, since by that time it was dark.  I =
stopped the fellow I previously talked to, and he was from France, =
attending a conference in SLC.  He had been on the island all day.  =
Amazing what he said he saw!  But, he went to the ranch, which I for =
some reason thought was closed.

Wonderful day!  The scoter was a lifer for me!

Glenn=20

- ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C16EEF.6EB55060

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#b8b8b8>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Today was such a beautiful day I =
thought, why not=20
go out to AIC on my way home from my daughter's house in =
Clearfield?&nbsp; I got=20
out on the causeway a little after 4 p.m. and proceeded slowly =
west.&nbsp; Both=20
Farmington Bay, on the south, and the GSL, on the north, were like =
glass.&nbsp;=20
Beautiful!&nbsp; First I came to some ducks on the north side, which =
were mainly=20
Northern Shovelers and a few Northern Pintails.&nbsp; Further on there =
were more=20
of the same, with a few Eared Grebes here and there&nbsp; Suddenly I =
spotted=20
some different looking grebes on the south side, in the bay.&nbsp; Yep, =
a=20
flotilla of 4 Horned Grebes.&nbsp; Just then a car pulled up on the =
opposite=20
side of the road to take a look.&nbsp; I said, "They look like Horned =
Grebes to=20
me."&nbsp; He looked at them and said, "I agree."&nbsp; (I was finally =
able to=20
make a few Horned Grebes out of all the Eared Grebes.)&nbsp; Further on, =
1/10 of=20
a mile before the&nbsp;antenna on the right, and 3/10 of a mile before=20
the&nbsp;1 mile marker, I finally found what I was looking for for such =
a long=20
time--a Surf Scoter (f)!&nbsp; Only one!&nbsp; The sun was just right so =
that it=20
cast the right amount of light on the bird.&nbsp; It was all brown with =
a darker=20
crown on the top of the head, with two white patches on&nbsp;each side =
of the=20
head.&nbsp; I was pleased that the NGS Guide said, "Adult female and =
first=20
winter male <U>may</U> (emphasis added) have a whitish nape. . .", since =
I did=20
not see one.&nbsp; Otherwise it looked just like the picture of the =
female Surf=20
Scoter in NGS!&nbsp; So, I finally got one!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I then turned around and left, since by =
that time=20
it was dark.&nbsp; I stopped the fellow I previously talked to, and he=20
was&nbsp;from France, attending a conference in SLC.&nbsp; He had been =
on the=20
island all day.&nbsp; Amazing what he said he saw!&nbsp; But, he went to =
the=20
ranch, which I for some reason thought was closed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wonderful day!&nbsp; The scoter was a =
lifer for=20
me!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Glenn </FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C16EEF.6EB55060--