Birding software

I finally broke down and replaced my 20 year old computer that still uses
WordPerfect 5.1 and 5 1/4 inch discs.  Hey, it did what I needed it to do.
My new one is a PC lap top with lots of memory (128 meg or RAM) so I've
got lots of room for a good program. I am interested in what people are
using for birding software and how they like or dislike a particular program.
I already have Thayer's Bird of North America and it has lots of good stuff
on it.  However, it does not generate the lists I would like it to.  I'm looking
for something that kick out a bird list for a specific state, or all the birds I've
seen in a state, county, etc., or all the birds I haven't seen in a specific
state.  I would like to be able to add sightings for birds that they don't have
listed yet, e.g. Gunnison Sage Grouse, or a first sighting in the state.  I'm
mainly interested in birds in North America since I don't plan on much
(any?) foreign travel.

I've looked at the description in the ABA catalog of Thayer's Birding Diary,
but I would to hear from some one who has actually used it.  Also, any
other good software people are using.

I would appreciate any information people can give me.

Thanks,

Yvonne
ystroup@library.utah.edu