Wandering tattler and attack deer

Today Dana and I birded Antelope Island and Willard Bay.  The
Wandering Tattler is still there.  It was along the rocky shore to
the left of the sandspit as you sit at the end of the main drive
into the marina area. If you drive around the pond to the driveway
coming down to the spit, get out of your car and walk out on the
spit and look at the shoreline west(?) of your car, it was in the
rocks. Also, Black Terns in the main marina area by the pier.

If you go to the ranch, beware of the pet deer.  She has just had
babies and is very protective.  She attacked Dana and me (tried to
tap dance on the back of my head with her hooves!!! Actually she
only hit me once on the back of my head.).  Apparently the fawns
are in the tall bushes/grass where the big brushpile is in the
southeast corner of the main fenced area--along the row of Russian
Olives bordering the fenceline by the marsh where the Long-eared
Owls used to roost.

 We didn't know she had fawns and started walking into a path on
the south side of the brush pile and suddenly there she was,
rearing up on her hind legs and lashing out.  I'm glad I was able
to turn away and sort of hunch over or she might have put a really
serious hurt on me.  Dana and I figured out real quick why she was
acting that way, but then she wouldn't let us leave.  She kept
attacking--backed me into the brushpile and kept coming at me. I
think I was closer to the babies.  Dana was able to pick up a
branch and keep waving it at her, but I didn't have anything and
every time I tried to move out of the brush she'd rear up and come
at me. Finally, Dana threw me a branch and I kept waving it at her
til I was able to get out of the brush.  But she still wasn't
through with us.  She kept going at one or the other of us until we
were about 30 feet away at least.  Dilemma:  How to protect
yourself and not hurt the deer?  We managed it, but I have to say
the adrenaline was pumping!!  All-in-all, it was an intense 3
minutes or so.  And I really hope that deer doesn't have long-term
memory--maybe I should disguise myself next time I go out there!!

So if you go to the ranch any time soon, don't go in that southeast
corner where the brushpile is.  Of course, I guess she could move
her babies somewhere else, so be really careful if you see her and
give her a wide berth.  Maybe check with the ranger/volunteers re
her baby-station location.

Willard Bay: Catbird.
Glover's Lane: Great Egrets (2)