Kaysville Ponds

- --part1_54.fd51201.27b56fa9_boundary

Greetings Birders:

I went to the Kaysville Ponds to observe the Ring-necked, Canvasback Ducks
and Hooded Mergansers that had been reported.  You never tire of watching
birds that are so beautiful.  The birdnet is such a helpful tool to know
where and when to go.  The observations posted are very much appreciated, as
well as the efforts of those who maintain the site.

There are three ponds along I-15 referred to as the Kaysville Ponds.  The
Northern most pond has the largest amount of open water and the highest
number of waterfowl.  It was quite a diverse list:

Canada Geese, Greater White-fronted Goose, Canvasbacks, Widgeon, Ring-necked,
Golden-eye, Mallard, Common Mergansers, hooded Mergansers, Green Wing Teal,
American Coot, Shoveler, Pied-billed Grebe, Common snipe (loafing on the ice)
and Ring-billed gulls.

I would like to hear from someone else who observes the Greater White-fronted
Goose to back up my own observation (it is a life bird for me, if
substantiated).  It appears to be a first year immature.  When I first saw it
mixed in with the Canada Geese, I thought it was a hybrid Canada and Grey
lag.  However, on closer examination with a scope the pink (orange) bill with
a white tip was evident.  There is a patch of white above the bill on the
forehead.  The only markings that were inconsistent with the field guide were
two light colored feathered cheek patches.  These patches were below the eye
line, beginning at the base of the mandible and curving in a crescent shape.

I'll watch the birdnet for future birders views.  The easiest directions to
reach the Kaysville Ponds follow:  From I-15 take Exit #331 Kaysville.  Go
East (200 North) to Main Street (5 blocks).  Turn right on Main Street
(South) and go 3 blocks to 50 West.  Turn right onto 50 West and go 8 blocks
(South) to 550 South.  The ponds are on the right (West of 50 West).  You can
easily observe the pond from the car, using it as a blind.  Good birding.

Thanks,

Bill Fenimore

- --part1_54.fd51201.27b56fa9_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Greetings Birders:
<BR>
<BR>I went to the Kaysville Ponds to observe the Ring-necked, Canvasback Ducks
<BR>and Hooded Mergansers that had been reported. &nbsp;You never tire of watching
<BR>birds that are so beautiful. &nbsp;The birdnet is such a helpful tool to know
<BR>where and when to go. &nbsp;The observations posted are very much appreciated, as
<BR>well as the efforts of those who maintain the site.
<BR>
<BR>There are three ponds along I-15 referred to as the Kaysville Ponds. &nbsp;The
<BR>Northern most pond has the largest amount of open water and the highest
<BR>number of waterfowl. &nbsp;It was quite a diverse list:
<BR>
<BR>Canada Geese, Greater White-fronted Goose, Canvasbacks, Widgeon, Ring-necked,
<BR>Golden-eye, Mallard, Common Mergansers, hooded Mergansers, Green Wing Teal,
<BR>American Coot, Shoveler, Pied-billed Grebe, Common snipe (loafing on the ice)
<BR>and Ring-billed gulls.
<BR>
<BR>I would like to hear from someone else who observes the Greater White-fronted
<BR>Goose to back up my own observation (it is a life bird for me, if
<BR>substantiated). &nbsp;It appears to be a first year immature. &nbsp;When I first saw it
<BR>mixed in with the Canada Geese, I thought it was a hybrid Canada and Grey
<BR>lag. &nbsp;However, on closer examination with a scope the pink (orange) bill with
<BR>a white tip was evident. &nbsp;There is a patch of white above the bill on the
<BR>forehead. &nbsp;The only markings that were inconsistent with the field guide were
<BR>two light colored feathered cheek patches. &nbsp;These patches were below the eye
<BR>line, beginning at the base of the mandible and curving in a crescent shape. &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>I'll watch the birdnet for future birders views. &nbsp;The easiest directions to
<BR>reach the Kaysville Ponds follow: &nbsp;From I-15 take Exit #331 Kaysville. &nbsp;Go
<BR>East (200 North) to Main Street (5 blocks). &nbsp;Turn right on Main Street
<BR>(South) and go 3 blocks to 50 West. &nbsp;Turn right onto 50 West and go 8 blocks
<BR>(South) to 550 South. &nbsp;The ponds are on the right (West of 50 West). &nbsp;You can
<BR>easily observe the pond from the car, using it as a blind. &nbsp;Good birding.
<BR>
<BR>Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Bill Fenimore</FONT></HTML>

- --part1_54.fd51201.27b56fa9_boundary--