Utah County Birding

     I went out birding today and was rewarded with lots of fun birds. I first drove down redwood road on the other side of Utah Lake that goes through Saratoga Springs. Along this road were several Rough-legged Hawks and one of the most beautiful Golden Eagles I have ever seen.
       I then went over to Cedar Valley via Chimney Rock Road and was happy to find a Northern Shrike at Allen's Ranch at the foot of the Tintic Mountains.
       I drove the Dividend Road from Eureka down to just up from Elberta, this area was hopping with birds in the Pinyon Juniper Forest. I saw well over 100 Bushtits, lots of Townsend Solitaire and a very beautiful male Hairy Woodpecker. I
       n the fields just south of Elberta was filled with more hawks, including a Merlin in Elberta, Prarie Falcon and more Rough-legged Hawks. It was awesome, near Secret Pond north of Goshen was a lot of Bald Eagles and a Loggerhead Shrike to make it a homerun day for Utah shrikes. ( only two of them, so not too impressive )
       When I went to Warm Springs between Genola and Goshen it was dead, then I found the reason why, a Coopers Hawk was hopping around keeping everyone quiet.
        Finally there was a Redhead at Spring Lake, which was the first one I have seen in awhile, so it was very welcome. That is all for now. Hope everyone is doing great.

KC Childs