UCB Big Sit Results

Utah County Birders 2005 Big Sit Report.

The Big Sit is like a Big Day in that the object is to tally as many bird species as can be seen or heard within 24 hours. The difference lies in the area limitation (inside a 17-foot circle) from which you can observe.

Sit Participants: Eric Huish, KC Childs, Milt Moody, Tuula Rose, Deb Thornton and Cheryl Peterson.

The TV weather reporters had us all believing we would be sitting in the rain and wind all day but to our relief we had beautiful weather. Due to this year?s higher water levels we moved our circle from where we had it the last two years to take advantage of some mudflats which were loaded with shorebirds. The move gave us no practical views of the open lake so we were unable to get the Diving Ducks and Grebes we?ve seen in past years but the number of shorebirds on the mudflats (12) made up for our missing species. We beat our record big sit total of 53 by 2 ½ species. We saw a couple Western/Clark?s Grebes we couldn?t ID in the very distant lake I?m counting as half a species.

KC Childs and I started the sit before dawn at 6:00 A.M. We tried for owls and rails with no luck. While it was still dark we were able to get a Black-crowned Night-Heron silhouetted against the water croaking in the dark, Wilson?s Snipe flying around overhead and a few calling Killdeer. As it got light we quickly began adding species to our list. Milton Moody and Tuula Rose showed up and helped us add several birds. We had 50 species by noon when Deb Thornton came by and joined the sit for a while. The wind picked up in the afternoon but Tuula and I stayed to 1:30. The last species added before our afternoon break was a Greater Yellowlegs (#53). I returned to the circle at 5:00 and was joined by KC and Cheryl Peterson. We added two more species to the list. After KC and Cheryl left I sat until dark (8:00) watching the sunset and all the birds on the mudflat.

We had a great time and there was plenty of bird activity to keep us entertained. Especially entertaining were the two Merlins which would frequently zoom across the mudflat sending the thousand or so shorebirds up into two swirling flocks, one flock of dowitchers and one flock of peeps. Once the two Merlins even chased each other. During one exciting chase the merlin raced after a single peep that was separated from the flock. In the end, with some highspeed maneuvering, the peep managed to barely escaped the merlin and it wasn?t until dusk that I finally saw one of the merlins with a kill.

Our Big Sit list total was 55 ½ species.

Gadwall
Mallard
GW Teal
RN Pheasant