Common Grackle invasion

Sunday Sept. 25, 2005 about 12:30 pm walking downstream from the Oxbow
parking lot on the Provo River Walkway I encountered a large flock of
about 20 COMMON GRACKLES. I first heard them on the other side of the
river thinking magpies don't have that high-pitched rusty hinge screech,
and just then they flew over to a tree right by me. And sure enough
 the yellow eye, iridescent blue-purple head and neck with brown body and
keel-shaped tail confirmed the ID. I was just thinking that I have never
seen so many common grackles in one place when on the way back, leaving
this group behind me I heard way ahead of me another raucous flock of at
least twice the size, maybe 40-50 birds judging from the noise level.
They were high in the cottonwood trees moving ahead of me all the way
back to the parking lot . Felt like being in a Hitchcock movie.
Tuula