UCB Newsletter - September

Utah County Birders Newsletter September 2005

For the full newsletter ( Feather Talk, Field Trip Reports, Field Trip Photos, Backyard Bird of the Month and more) visit http://www.utahbirds.org/newsletters/2004-5/2005_09.html .

SEPTEMBER MEETING:

Wednesday, September 14th.

Dennis Shirley, assisted by Alton Thygerson, will lead a discussion on the Identification of Fall Warblers. A DVD will be included in the presentation - Meet at 7:00 PM in the Bean Museum Auditorium on the BYU Campus.

FIELD TRIPS:

September 10th (Sat): Warbler Bird Walk at the Provo River Parkway - Meet at 8:00 am at the parking lot closest to the boat harbor. Use 620 N from Geneva Road, Center St. is closed due to bridge repair.

September 24th (Sat): Meet at 8:00 am at the Rock Canyon Trailhead Park at the mouth of Rock Canyon. We'll divide into teams by the carload to have a contest for most species in half a day. Back by noon for a picnic at the pavilion. Bring some food.

October 9th (Sun): The Big Sit! - The Big Sit is like a Big Day in that the object is to tally as many bird species as can be seen or heard within 24 hours. The difference lies in the area limitation (inside a 17-foot circle) from which you can observe. Hundreds of teams from around the world will be sitting on Oct. 9th. We will sit at the Provo Airport Dike (exact location not yet chosen). We sat at the airport dike last year and counted 45 species, in 2003 we counted 53. Everyone is invited to join for the whole day or any part of it. Our goal is to beat 53 species.

October 22nd (Sat): Time and Destination to be announced.

Eric Huish Pleasant Grove UT poorwill_@hotmail.com 801-360-8777