Female Hoodie in Provo

Hi all,

Because this is my first posting, I know it will probably not get up
until tomorrow, but that's okay.

On my walk along the Provo River trail this morning, I saw a female
hooded merganser on the stretch of river in between Bulldog and State
street.  It's a calm area, and I had seen two females there early last
week or the week before, but I hadn't been back since.  She was gone on
the return stretch of my walk, but hopefully she hasn't gone too far.
Other markers to the area - it was between the Sinclair station and the
D.I. on state street.  A little further down the river, I found a common
merganser also.

There were quite a few other fun birds, but none too exciting - brown
creeper, ruby-crowned kinglet, lots of chickadees, and even a
woodpecker, but me being the beginner couldn't tell you if it was a
Downy or a Hairy.

As a beginner, I confess that some of what I see I can't even begin to
identify, but I did find one that others may be interested for the CBC
this weekend, even if I couldn't I.D. it.  By describing it to my
husband in an email and over the phone, he thinks it's probably a
sandpiper, maybe a spotted, but I couldn't describe it too well because
it took off before I got a good look at it.  So if he's wrong, it's not
his fault.  It was just down the river from the hoodie standing on top
of the "dam" next to the fire station.  It was pale gray and had the
markings of a shore bird when it flew off (we just moved up from San
Diego, so I was getting pretty good at them.)  So, if Matt is able to
verify its correct identity when he comes home, we'll post it, but if
not, and anyone in Provo is feeling adventurous and can find it again,
I'd love to know what it was.

Good birding and happy holidays!

Amanda Williams