2004 Birding Contest

Hi everyone, October already! How time flies when you're having a great time chasing exciting fall-winter birds. Folks, it's time to start putting together a list of your accomplishments for this year's contest and submitting your results. If you haven't quite reached your goals yet, our fall weather is absolutely perfect for birding and enjoying the beautiful outdoors. Now's the time, so grab those binocs and go find those birds! And, yes, there will be recognition for those who submit their results - this includes Big Day, Big Month, Big Year, etc. Send it all in! To refresh your memory on the contest, here it is directly from the Utah County Birders website:

http://www.utahbirds.org/organizations/ucb/specialreports/Contest2004.htm

See More in 2004

Choose FOUR of the five suggested challenges to participate in the contest.

1. Find 220 species in Utah in 2004. (A bit challenging for some but we know you can do it!)

2. Find 20 species in all the 29 counties in Utah OR find 29 species in 20 counties in Utah. (
Steve Carr's List Form)

3. Target birding: Choose FOUR groups of birds from the list of eight groups below and find each species in your chosen groups. Use the new Utah checklist as a guide, excluding accidentals and occasionals.
     1. Owls
     2. Woodpeckers
     3. Wrens
  &nb! sp;  4. Hawks and falcons
     5. Warblers
     6. Blackbirds and orioles
     7. Titmice, verdin and bushtits
     8. Thrushes

4. Write an article for the newsletter. Possible topics: "My most elusivebird and how I finally got it."   "My most expensive lifer." " The easiest way to count the eggs in a black swift's nest behind Bridal Veil Falls."  etc.  Use your imagination. (This is an easy one to include in your chosen four. Besides, we need more articles for the newsletter).

5. Add FOUR more species to your World list, OR your ABA list, OR your Utah list, OR your Utah County list.

Please submit your 2004 contest results to Leena Rogers at
marjaleenar2002@yahoo.com.

I look forward to hearing from all of you, and Happy Birding for the rest of 2004!

Leena