Birding in Battle Creek Canyon.

Hi all,

I went on a walk in Battle Creek Canyon (Pleasant Grove) this morning and got into a nice pocket of birds. (Nothing to exciting but I thought I?d post anyways.) Mountain and Black-capped Chickadees, MacGillivray's, Wilson's, Virginia's, and Orange-crowned Warblers, Spotted and Green-tailed Towhees, Canyon Wrens, a Plumbeous Vireo and tons of Ruby-crowned Kinglets were all in a little flock of birds a little ways up the road/trail. Other birds of interest included a Golden Eagle, Cooper's Hawk, Flickers, Downies, and a Red-naped Sapsucker. I heard Chuckers and was able to coax a Western Screech-Owl into peeking out its tree hole so I could see it.

On a side note I had a beautiful pale Red Fox trot up the hill just across the stream from me. It paused to look back at me before it disappeared behind some rocks. I had a real close look at it (about 15 yards) and I swear it had pale blue eyes. I thought this was kind of weird so I've tried to find info on foxes with blue eyes. Everything I've read says that foxes can have blue eyes as kits but have the yellow-brown eyes as adults. This fox was an adult. Is it possible it had blue eyes or was I just seeing things?

Eric Huish Pleasant Grove UT poorwill_@hotmail.com 801-360-8777