W Screech-Owl and more.

Hi all,

My Screech-Owls must have a large brood this year because for the last couple weeks they have been coming out to hunt extra early. As early as as 8:35, while there is still plenty of light to see them well.

Last night I was alerted to an owl out hunting by the usual American Robin and Scrub-Jay alarm. The alarm is easily heard from inside the house and has been going off a lot lately. I went out to watch and got some very nice looks, then I sat a chair out across the yard from the nest box and watched. Last night was so calm and warm and the moon was so bright I sat there and watched the owls for over an hour while they made frequent trips to the box to feed the nestlings. The nestlings begging calls were loud enough for me to hear from across the yard.

If you enjoy bird watching I highly suggest you put a screech owl box up in your yard. (Unless you live within a block or two of my house). Screech owls used to be a two or three times a year bird for me but now I see them all the time. You can see screech owls with a tape player and a light but I think it is much more fun to see them in more natural circumstances like silently fluttering by in the moonlight.

A few months from now a young screech owl is going to come through your neighborhood looking for a place of his own. If there is no housing in the area he won't stay. If you think an owl in your yard sounds fun you should put up a box before fall. I think it is well worth the effort.

On another note, I went out to Broad Canyon (Utah County) and the Chipping Sparrows and Black-throated Gray Warblers are back in large numbers. I also saw a Gray Flycatcher, J Titmice and heard Chucker and Pinyon Jays plus much more.

Eric Huish Pleasant Grove UT poorwill_@hotmail.com 801-360-8777