Common Black Hawk

    Anyone headed for Lytle might be interested in knowing that the Common Black Hawk is again in residence there.  Last weekend I was busy looking at a Black-tailed Gnatcatcher when I heard some squawking behind me.  I turned around just in time to see two Black Hawks crest the cottonwood trees before diving back into the foliage.  It was a short look, but long enough to see the white band on one's tail.  I hung around for a time, but never saw them again.  They dove into the cottonwoods in the center of the wash at the point where the stand of trees start to thicken, not too far south from the monument.  I heard them once again when I arrived at the monument, but trees blocked the view of the first area, and I saw nothing.  If you're looking for them, be patient.  They have to come up for air sometime.
     The Hooded Oriole has also made it back to the palms on the south side of Red Hills Golf Course.

Carol Nelson