Highland Glen Park

I went birding today at a place called Highland Glen Park, also known as Discovery Park. You get there from going on the road west from Lone Peak High School. Anyway, I have birded here before, but think it has great potential. I don't know how many people have birded this before, or if any rare migrants have been seen here. I know Eric Huish saw a Cassins Vireo last fall here, but other than that I don't know if gets any rare migrants. I stopped by in mid-afternoon with the wind blowing, and still picked up about 15 birds. It was really good. The pond had a Clark's Grebe on it, and Caspian Terns flying overhead. working the area near the waterfall I found a Wilson's Warbler, Blue Gray Gnatcatcher, Western Tanager, Black Headed Grosebeak, Scrub Jay, Black Capped Chickadees and others as well. I saw some Quail and other more common birds. I know these birds are common, but I think it has some great possibility. With all the native shrubs and trees, water and the river wash on the west side of the park seems that it could hold some great birds. I would encourage any north county birders to check it out. In fact anyone in the county should check it out. I only had a half hour to check it out, but I saw plenty for the short time there.

KC Childs

Do You Yahoo!?
LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience