SLC marathon and birding

I have a friend running in the SLC marathon this weekend, and she's hoping
to do a little casual birding on Friday to pick up a few lifers.  (Anything
west of Kansas City will be a lifer for her!)

She and her husband will be staying at the Hilton in the middle of the city,
and they won't have a car.   She'll get into the city before noon on Friday
and needs a good night's sleep before the race, so she's interested in a
couple hours of easy paced birding Friday afternoon.   I see that hotel is
close to a light rail station.

Can you recommend a location or two that would be reachable from the hotel
where she could pick up some western species?  Are you getting spring
migrants through yet?  I have not been to SLC either, so I'm not familiar
with the habitat or logical species, although I can find bird lists and
whatnot online.  My friend is a good birder and she will have binoculars and
a Western field guide along.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Heidi McCullough
Kansas City, MO