Fw: Slides etc

Subject: FW: Slides etc

-------

Hi, Gang!

                                    JUST A REMINDER ---

Our first meeting of the fall season will be at the Hurricane Dixie
College campus

(on 700 West, a block or two south of the highway)

                        Flower Watching and Bird Watching in Utah

OCTOBER 12.  7 PM

Y'all come!  We will have some birdwatchers with us too, this time.

Info below, as supplied by our speaker, Dr. Bill Gray

Margaret

-------

Title: "Flower Watching and Bird Watching in Utah"
Dr. William Gray, Professor Emeritus of Biology, Univ. of Utah.

Bio: My professional training was in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
at Cambridge, before coming to the US in 1964 for "a year, or maybe
two". After discovering the mountains and deserts of the southwest we
decided to settle no further east than the Rocky Mountains. So I taught
at the U of U for 27 years, and took up botany as a retirement project.

Abstract: "Flower watchers and bird watchers have some major
similarities and some major differences. With either occupation it is
possible to spend a whole morning and walk no more than half a mile.
However, birders have a choice of half a dozen field guides that cover
the whole of the US in a single book, with pictures of every bird and an
agreed-upon list of common names. Such a thing is unimaginable for the
flowers - there are roughly ten times as many species and many of them
are highly localized.

My goal is to narrow this gap, by creating highly interactive CD guides
that can bring huge amounts of information and photos within reach of
the average user. The first of these covered the Wasatch Front, with
2600 of my own photos, and user-friendly keys that allow expert and
novice to identify plants. A second one, in conjunction with the
American Penstemon Society, dealt with all the 280-odd species of
Penstemon in North America. My talk will focus on two current projects.
One, in collaboration with Margaret Malm, is on the plants of Zion
National Park. The other deals with Utah's 4000 or so species, with an
emphasis on where they can be found. Both will give users the ability to
add their own photos and data."

9/27/2005