Dixie Birders a Field, Sep. 30th

Friday the 30th, a good day to be in the field.  The Dixie Birders
ventured out to the southern slope  of the Mineral Mountains to find the
birds of Lincoln Gulch.  Nestled within this arid, desert scrub
landscape is a pretty little riparian area fed by a small stream that
originates from the mouth of an abandoned gold mine shaft. If the
birding is slow, interesting mineral specimans can be found in the mine
tailings. However, the birding was not slow and we  were rewarded with
these species seen: Red-tailed Hawk, Am. Kestel, M. Dove, N. Flicker
(red shafted), Gray Vireo, W. Scrub-Jay, Pinyon Jay, Black-billed
Magpie, C. Raven, J. Titmouse, RC Kinglet, M. Bluebird, OC. Warbler,
Brewer's Sparrow, WC Sparrow, DE Junco and W. Meadowlark.

>From Lincoln Gulch to Minersville Reservoir is a natural progression.
We birded the north end of the reservoir (Adamsville) in the afternoon.
Waterfowl and shorebirds are only starting to drift in.  Apparently,
life is too good on the shores of the Great Salt Lake! A nice little
selection of gull species was found.  Also of interest, a Great Horned
Owl showing many of the plumage characteristics of the Pacific
subspecies.  Species seen at the reservoir were: C Goose, Mallard, N
Shoveler, GW Teal, Ruddy Duck, PB Grebe, Eared Grebe, W Grebe, Clark's
Grebe, A Pelican, DC Cormorant, T Vulture, RT Hawk, Golden Eagle, A
Kestrel, A Coot, Killdeer, LB Dowitcher, Bonaparte's Gull, RB Gull,
California Gull, Herring Gull, Great Horned Owl, Loggerhead Shrike, BP
Magpie, C Raven, Cliff Swallow, Rock Wren, E Starling, YR Warbler, DE
Junco, RW Blackbird and House Finch.

Additionally, we encountered two large bands of Pronghorn Antelope near
Minersville. One band, suprised near a waterhole, included several well
antlered bucks.