California Condor Sightings

September 14:

My husband and I went up to Kolob Creek overlook over Labor Day Weekend
to see if any California Condors were hanging around.  We approached the
Kolob Meadows about 9 a.m. and there were numerous condors with a few
turkey vultures mixed in flying about.  They had been feeding on a deer
some people said.  We went to the usual place to hang out to see if they
would land on the ledge or the large pines. WOW!  What a great morning!
By 11:00 a.m. we had seen 12 CALIFORNIA CONDORS!   Numerous people kept
stopping by, what a sight to see.  At one time there were 11 on the
ledge.  Unfortunately there were a couple of young adults with a dog
that had wedged themselves in-between the rocks within a couple of feet
from the condors.  The condors still stayed.  We believe they had left
them some kind of food.  We met a couple from SLC that were birding in
the area.  We all were yelling to "get out of there".......finally they
did...and went back up a trail to a cabin.  Many people couldn't believe
that they would approach them like that!

We confirmed the following numbers:  3, -3, 03, 6, 48, 50, 57, 74, 75,
81, 91, 99
For those who haven't gone up the area yet...YOU GOTTA GO!   All the
times we have seen them at this location it was in the morning.  Drive
up there, bring a chair for a BIG SIT and enjoy the Condors.  The
overlook is near the Kolob Creek Road crossing - north of Lava Point

Denise & Joe Blyn