Red Cliffs Audubon Field Trip, July 16th

Temperatures in the one hundred plus teens and 27 wildfires blazing away
in Southern Utah is enough to keep all but the fanatical few tucked
securely in their homes.  But not 5 RC birders plus 2 guests from
Florida.  We climbed the Kolob Terraces road (#17 on the Southwest Utah
Birding Trail map), through the smoke generated by the fire on Smith's
Mesa, and had a beautiful day of birding in the Ponderosa and Gambel's
Oak above the 6000 foot elevation mark. We found a nice "patch" of
Lazuli Buntings not far off the Wildcat Canyon Trailhead, but not the
Pygmy Nuthatches or Grace's Warblers we had also hoped for.  Onward and
upward from there to the Kolob Meadows.  As if on que,  C. Condor # 74
made a low level pass over our heads and landed on the top of a nearby
fir.  A life bird for one of our guests who, earlier in the year,  had
seen the Andean Condor while birding in Ecuador.  Returning from the
reservoir we again stopped at the spot where we had previously seen "Ole
# 74".  There on the ledge overlooking Kolob Creek as it plunges steeply
to the canyon below was C. Condor # 03.  We put up a scope so as to look
this bird straight in the eye!  Soon we attracted a group of onlookers
including a caravan of Italian tourists.  Exclamations of "Condori,
Condori, bellissima!"  were heard several times. At the same time a N.
Goshawk put in a quick flyby.  Fun!!

The list of species seen follows:  Say's Phoebe, Western Kingbird,
Mourning Dove, Great Blue Heron, Belted Kingfisher, Juniper Titmouse,
Common Raven, Western Scrub Jay, Golden Eagle, Prairie Falcon, Lazuli
Bunting, Blue - gray Gnatcatcher, Western Bluebird, Violet - green
Swallow, White - breasted Nuthatch, Downy Woodpecker, Turkey Vulture,
American Robin, American Coot, Steller's Jay, Western Tanager, Chipping
Sparrow, Yellow Warbler, Northern Goshawk, Hairy Woodpecker, Red-tailed
Hawk, California Condor, Pied - billed Grebe, Lark Sparrow, Mountain
Bluebird and Brewer's Blackbird.

Charlie