California Condors and Zone-tailed Hawks at Kolob / Lava Point area

Hello,

Last Sunday (7/10), Larry Tripp and I decided to escape the heat and head up
to the Kolob and Lava Point areas (Washington Co., UT).  We were quickly
rewarded with stunning views of California Condors soaring over the Kolob
Meadows.  One of the best spots to watch for the Condors is at the overlook
near the lower Kolob Creek road crossing (north of Lava Point, where Kolob
Creek plummets into the steep canyon).  We saw at least five different
Condors (3,53,74,80, and 81). We were even treated to one landing very close
to us (#74)....It first perched in a tall tree top and slowly worked its way
down into the canyon bottom where it lingered for a while drinking out of
the stream.

This is a great spot to watch for other soaring birds as well.  We also saw
Turkey Vultures, a Northern Goshawk, Red-tailed Hawks, Zone-tailed Hawks,
and Common Ravens flying in the area.  Again this year, the Zone-tailed
Hawks (2) were primarily flying along the ridge to the east of the meadows.

Another interesting bird in the area was a very unique sapsucker, which we
concluded may be a Red-naped X Williamson's Sapsucker hybrid (?).  It had an
almost all black back and face markings of a Williamson's, but otherwise
looked like a Red-naped. It was very active in the willows and the tall dead
aspens on the west side of the road.

Perhaps the surprise of the trip however was a Winter Wren hanging out at
Lava Point, near the north overlook.  I'd be very interested if anyone else
finds this little bird again.  Listen for it's distinctive double-note call,
but be careful as there are also House and Canyon Wren families in the area.

Best Regards,

Rick Fridell,
Hurricane, UT