Santa Clara River Birding

Howdy

The Dixie Birders were out and about today, an absolutely glorious day in paradise. We chose to do some west side birding, basically along the corridor of the Santa Clara River.

GunLock Reservoir and the town of Gunlock are accessible from the south now, but the reservoir is muddy with lots of flotsam and jetsam and is devoid of birds other than gulls and Cormorants. It is still overflowing and the Santa Clara River below it has been scoured from bank to bank. The river did a great job of cleansing itself. It hadn't had a bath in years.

Here is a run down of our findings. Enjoy.

BAKER RESERVOIR
American Coot
Great Blue Heron
Ruddy Duck
Common Merganser ...rousing courtship behavior
Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant   ...more courtship behavior
Ring-necked Duck
Common Goldeneye
Chukar
Pinion Jays (near Veyo)

UPPER SAND COVE RESERVOIR
Hooded Merganser
Ring-billed Gull
California Gull
Red Head Duck
Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant   ...more courtship display
American Avocet
Common Raven
Great Blue Heron

LOWER SAND COVE RESERVOIR - no birds

SAND COVE POWER PLANT
Common Raven
Bewick's Wren
Say's Phoebe
Mallard
Red-tailed Hawk
House Finch

SHIVWITZ BRIDGE - SR91
Northern Mockingbird
Canyon Wren  ...oh how pretty and they sang on cue, "Sing for me!".
Rock Wren
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black Phoebe
Ruby-crowned Kinglet