Red Cliffs Audubon Jan. 15th field trip

    A series of winter storms and record floods could not keep Red Cliffs birders and guests from a day in the field.  Our winter raptor trip is one of two of Red Cliffs' community outreach trips, the other being the condor trip.  We were pleased this year that 7 new birders joined us as we followed our traditional Cedar Valley winter raptor route. We enthusiastically wallowed along several miles of muddy backroads searching the fence lines and cottonwood groves for eagles and hawks. We were rewarded with beautiful views of many of our favorite raptor species.  For starters; an adult Golden Eagle perched midway on a communciation tower, sunshine burnishing its golden head and bronze body!  Many Bald Eagles followed; 2 and 3 year olds, sub-adults and adults.  A close-up look at a Rough-legged Hawk feeding on fresh prey was a topper.
    Species seen were: Common Raven, Brewer's Blackbird, Golden Eagle, Bald Eagle, Ferruginous Hawk, Black-billed Magpie, Northern Harrier, Red-tailed Hawk, Rough-legged Hawk, White-crowned Sparrow, Spotted Towhee, Northern Flicker and, of course, House Sparrows and European Starlings.  2 Pronghorn Antelope were a welcome bonus!